Tropical Storm Cindy!

Cindy is here! Bless her heart. Much needed rain. Been dryer than a powder keg here. Of course don’t want any tornadoes that it may spawn or any flooding and anyone affected by any of these has my sympathies. Projected path is up thru middle Tn and into eastern Ky into W. Virginia and Virginia.

https://www.wunderground.com/news/tropical-storm-cindy-gulf-of-mexico

2 Likes

Um no thanks! We’ve had enough rain, thank you. They’re calling for 2-3" thru tomorrow here, sure hope they’re wrong. We got 4" four days ago, and the ground was just starting to dry off. We had 4" flash flood a month ago. We were in the process of weeding and mulching when the rain started up this evening. I hope I can get out there before it hits again tomorrow afternoon. I am SOOO tired of this rain…

No wonder it is so green here all the time…

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l4ZQXu7kQo

1 Like

Subdood, stop hogging all the rain! We’re still a few inches behind, especially after these above average temps.
Now, if you do let the rain come east, just put it on the garden and trees, not on the grass! Thanks!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I meant to talk about the grass too, it really needs mowing. Sometimes I can be sitting on the front deck in the evenings and actually hear it growing…

4 Likes

Heard some areas where Cindy made landfall got up to 8 inches of rain…amazingly enough having that storm hit to the West of Florida actually helped our weather…looks like we might be in for a busy storm season.

2 Likes

Well, round one ended about 10:30 last night, we got about four tenths total for yesterday.

They’re saying the big wad is coming in about 3pm this afternoon, and we might get another 2in. Some of the forecast models look nasty for our area tho, so I hope it’s no more than that. After tomorrow morn, it should clear off and the next week should be relatively dry.

I’m headed out to the tomato patch to finish the mulching that got interrupted yesterday. I hope there’s not too much mud on my plants as the tilling threw a lot of dirt up on the bottom leaves of a lot of plants. I think I got about 20 of them mulched. It’s partly sunny, but real humid this morn, so not looking forward getting out in that sauna, but it’s gotta be done.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for it to hit here.

2 Likes

Any place but here would be fine with me. Our year to date rainfall is 20", which is 2" higher than normal…so we can pass on this one. :blush:

2 Likes

Well, I got a measly one half inch of rain out of Cindy this morning. Everyone around me gets these 1-2 inch rains, while my location gets 1/4-1/2 inch rains, barely enough to settle the dust. Only problem is that the blazing sun and the baking temps will return and turn my tomato leaves even more brown than they already are. Plenty of red tomatoes though. Just got thru picking 4 gallons before they had time to crack because of the rainfall.

4 Likes

My wife and I just got our outside work done before round two. Earlier today, I got the last of the tomatoes mulched and just before the rain started, the peppers got mulched with straw too. It’s been pretty humid today, but not too bad, because it’s been mostly cloudy. There was a brief downpour around noon just to make things more mucky. The Doodette got some push mowing and weed-eating in before the rains hit.

They’re forecasting 2-3" for this evening, I guess it’s just a matter of where you are. Right now, at 6pm there’s flash flood warnings just over the river in Ohio. We’re under a severe t-storm, and flash flood watch. Hopefully it moves thru quickly and doesn’t linger. It’s supposed to be out of here by midnight.

1 Like

Got an inch last night, and one inch so far today. Still raining but the storms are going around us. Flash flood warnings are listed, but we’re on top of a hill, so I worry more about wind. It’s weirdly warm for a day this rainy, even in June.

1 Like

Although a short visit, thank you Cindy for helping me prune and thin my nectarine tree.

2 Likes

Oh my. That’s some pretty drastic pruning :confused:
Do you know what kind of wind gusts you were getting?

1 Like

And Cindy says “My pleasure”. :wink:

1 Like

Folks around here are saying, “good riddance, Cindy”. We has some bad flooding in this part of the state. We only got 3in over five hours or so, but it wreaked some havoc. Our power went out for an hour, came back on for an hour, then went out again about 8pm. It didn’t come back on until 9 this morning.

Our lower driveway was washed out more from the side creek that overflowed its culvert again. We had deep ruts in the drive that I had to fill in with creek gravel and rocks, using a wheelbarrow and a shovel. I dug up about 6-7 loads before I had to quit because of something I had to go to at 11:00. The power came back on thankfully, so I was able to get a nice hot shower instead of a cold one.

My inlaw’s got hit worse than us. They had at least 50ft of water over their drive, they couldn’t get out last night if they wanted to. They have about a 300 ft gravel driveway that got shredded by all that water. My bro-in-law was still working on it with his tractor and grader blade when I went over there an hour a go. What a mess.

Our gardens actually fared OK, the corn/bean patch has another new channel in it, but it’ll be alright. The 'mater patch looks good, most of the mulch I put down is still there, I guess the tilling we did beforehand created natural channels for the water to run.

It’s supposed to be decent weather for a week, we could sure use some dryness around here.

So nice to have the power on again…

2 Likes

I don’t know that we had gust that were very high. The wind and weight of the rain along with an overload of fruit did it in.

Sorry to see that, how much rain did y’all get? I was watching the local weather out of Huntington last night and they had some tornado warnings up around Pomeroy or close to there, maybe you you got part of that storm?

Thankfully we didn’t get any wind at all, or we would’ve had more power outages, with the ground as wet as it was. Lots of roads flooded in these parts, but most are OK now.

We had 4in last Sunday, and 3in last night so we’re good. No more for a while, please. The lawns are getting savannah like. It’ll be at least two days before I can even attempt to mow. Plus, I’m staying out of the mudpits, I mean, gardens for a while too.

1 Like

I’m thinking 2.2 inches. I know the rain has really turned everything on.

1 Like

Yeah, as much as I complain of all the rain, it has been a real boost for the 'mater’s, some of them are at 3ft now. All of them are staked, but I had to add some more stakes to them because they’re starting to push out some big side branches. That’s why I place them 4ft apart, they just get so big in a short time.

1 Like