Tropicana

cherimoya tends to be sold mushy and overripe. Hopefully the asian/hispanic stores in your area offer them at a mature, but still not ripe stage, if you wait until it has the firm(but slightly soft) feel of a ripe avocado, it will have the same texture of a prime sugar apple, and the pulp is thicker so at least as satisfying as a good sugar apple, since cherimoyas tend to be bigger[quote=“mamuang, post:17, topic:11621”]
In MA, when you talk about 99, people think you talk about a chain restaurant (American). An Asian supermarket in Boston is called 88.
[/quote]

i learned something new today :slight_smile: Seems like double digits are popular with asian businesses.

1 Like

8 is a lucky number. 88 is double lucky. During the Olympics in Beijing, on August 8,2008, many Chinse coupoes got married. Lucky day!!!

We have cherimoya in Thailand. It has never caught on to us. The flesh is one bg lump. We like the separate section/seed I guess. Maybe, it is moe fun to eat and spit out seeds after seeds that way. I like sugar apple’s texture, taste and aroma better, like 99.9% of my compatriots :smile:

4 Likes

some cherimoyas have flesh which present like sugar apples, being easy to section as individual segments. Also, some are sweet- tart, while some are just sweet. I prefer the sweet-tart types, which to me are peers of sugar apples in desirability.

1 Like

The one we have has no separate flesh and sweet, no sour. There is a bit of slimy feel to it ( at least to me). It is also not as aromatic as sugar apple.

From what you describe, there are several better cherimoyas out there. I just have not yet come across ones.

1 Like

below is a pic of the cherimoya recently ate. Fairly visible on the left are the pulp segments that have the same segmented and ‘cottony’ appearance as ripe but still firm sugar apples, and were just as easy to section despite being not fully-ripe.
this cherimoya was fairly tart, so not the best.

2 Likes

Everything in your haul looks amazing!

We’re getting our first cherimoya fruit this year and I’m so so excited!

3 Likes

i am so green with envy!

2 Likes

Went to a Vietnamese grocery store today. Rambutan look very fresh but don’t want to eat a whole box by myself. Picked up a guava instead. $1.99 lb, cheaper than when they were $4.99 lb.

1 Like

Forgot to weigh it. It was close to a lb.

1 Like

Since this type of guava is mild, tangy and crunchy, we like to make dip consisting of ground roasted chili pepper, salt and sugar to go with it. We eat green mango with this dip, too. Sometimes, we use palm sugar instead of cane sugar, taste better and has nicer aroma.

3 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly. I love my nectarines, peaches, Bosc pears & Ambrosia apples, but once in a while, have a craving for my lychees, rambutans, durians, mangosteen, jackfruit and papaya. Living in Metro Vancouver, with arguably the best fruit growing climate in Canada, I have been able to push the envelope and grow many citrus trees. However, as this past harsh winter proved, it would be foolish and frustrating to try to grow hardcore tropical fruit like rambutan or lychee unless I insulated, heated and winter-proofed my main greenhouse (16’ x 8’ x 10’ tall) specifically for growing tropicals. If I ever move to the tropics after retirement, the first thing I’ll do is look for property with mature tropical fruit trees already or space to plant dozens of tropical fruit trees.

Anthony

2 Likes