Trouble with my pineapple pear

I’ve had this pineapple pear tree for close to 5 years. It’s my largest fruit tree and has survived some pretty viscous storms, but I fear it’s on it’s way out. Take a look…There’s some new growth here and there, but a lot of leaves have brown on them. Not sure whether that’s a result of the recent hear or decline…

Here’s a close up…

Then I have this spot on the trunk. This is what has me the most concerned …

I also pruned off several branches the other day that had what looked like burnt tips…This isn’t a great picture, but it will give you an idea…

So, is this tree a goner or should I hang on a while longer to see what it does? Thanks.

I think you have fireblight in that tree and I think it’s a goner. I’m sorry! Maybe I’m wrong - let’s see what others say.

2 Likes

Thanks @marknmt, that was my fear as well…

1 Like

I grow pineapple pear and I also get the leaf edge darkening and I have no clue on what it is. It seems to only happen with pineapple even in a super dry climate. Pineapple is supposed to be very blight resistant by the way.

Appreciate the comment @ammoun…I thought the same about pineapple being blight resistant. I’ve notice the browning leaves during summer for a couple of years now but the “burnt” looking branches seemed worse this time…Did some heavy pruning to remove them, so now it’s just a waiting game…

1 Like

I have to agree with Mark. That black line all the way down
the trunk means the FB has gotten into the trunk. It’s toast.
Remove the tree and get another. If you need some wood
to graft onto another tree, I’ll be happy to send you some.

2 Likes

I’ll wait a couple of months to see what it does. Worst case I plant a new one in the fall…

1 Like