Tulle Fabric Color

Calling all users of Tulle Fabric! After years of my raspberries, blackberries, and peaches getting dinged up by birds, I have decided to try some Tulle fabric.

Does the color of the fabric matter? I see white used a lot but green would look better. Would using green effect fruit ripening or cause any photosynthesis concerns?

Thanks!

1 Like

The tulle fabric may not work in humid region. In socal. where it has been very dry and hot the last few summers, the fabric would get bad after a year. I used cloth pins to close the gaps but the new branches would break through and make it very hard to remove. It worked well for birds when the fabric was new.
I didn’t use the tulle this year because the trees get too big to cover.

1 Like

I used white over my raspberries and blackberries. Worked like a charm and very easy to handle.

1 Like

I think I might have to get this to cover my figs and jujubes, at least cover some, not the whole tree. The squirrels have been eating everything left and right.

Several folks on GrowingFruit have noticed that draping cloth or netting over fruiting plants will not deter squirrels. They are a bit more persistent in their attempts to get in.

2 Likes

I use green army surplus army mosquito nets and plants grow well under them. Blueberries really enjoy the sun relief. I first tried the white mosquito nets but they would split and tear after one season. The army seems to have better quality.

1 Like

I think it’s still better than nothing. I just bought some tulle from Hobby Lobby for 30c a yard. Great deal so I bought the whole thing.

The first thing I tried was cheap fabric tulle off of the internet. It disintegrated in the first wind and I had to pick up scraps around the area for days. I hope you have better luck or less wind.

1 Like

I bought this color, it has a tinge of green, but I would have purchased it if it was red even, lol. It seems sturdier than the tulle fabric for $1.29.

1 Like

Here is one example of before and after. Now I don’t want to cover the whole tree, but I would like to taste some fruit at the peak of ripeness. I used my little stapler to staple the tulle together.
Before

After

1 Like