Tundra Honeyberry is Greening Up!

It’s amazing how quickly these things green up in the year! We just had the 2nd warmest January on record here in Salt Lake City going back 65 years, so I guess I shouldn’t be that surprised with my Tundra greening up already. The tulips have been starting to pop up as well. We still have 6 weeks of winter left!

4 Likes

Wow really? I live an hour south of you and haven’t notice mine starting to green up I will have to go check tomorrow. I think mine usually start to bud out in late February early March.

1 Like

Let us know what you see tomorrow. I also have Aurora Honeyberries, and I can tell they’re starting to green as well, but not as clearly as this Tundra.

wow! mine don’t bud till’ early may here.

1 Like

I looked at my bushes today and there is no green on them at all. I have blue bird, berry blue and sugar mountain. It will be interesting to see how your Tundra does this year, they are incredibly hardy to the cold. The blossoms on my plants routinely go down to 20 or lower and never seem to have any problems.

2 Likes

mine have survived -30f , uncovered with no damage. supposedly cold hardy to -50f! thats a tough bush! i have aurora, tundra and indigo treat.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t have to worry about that. The coldest it usually gets here is about 5 degrees F. I’ve also got Aurora and Borealis. I’ve been growing them for 2-3 years now and haven’t had much from them. How do you like yours?

2 were planted 2 yrs. ago and 1 i planted last spring. only got about a doz. from the 1st 2. aurora was better than both indigo treat and tundra from what i can tell but flavor will change as the bushes mature. hopefully get more this spring. got blue bird and blue belle on a friends property and they are more bitter. best for jams/ pies i think. very small berries too.

1 Like

I have only had a few berries off of my bushes that weren’t fully ripe so I can’t give a good assessment. One bush took off and the other two are still a little small so there has been pollination issues but I think they grew out of this last summer. I also have some mason bees that I am going to use to pollinate. last I will use bird netting this year, most of the berries in the past have been eaten by birds hopefully this is the year it all comes together.

2 Likes