Turnip seeds

I had a few left over Seven Top turnip seed last year and I tossed them out. This year they started growing and I have a huge amount of seeds forming. Do any of you save these seeds and how do you do it?

Let them ripen then collect and dry them and store in a cool dark dry place.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Turnip can be pollinated by weeds from cruciferous family. You can try it for fun, but I wouldn’t hope to get actual turnips from them.

2 Likes

One more thing… Turnips usually flower and seed on a second year. So unless you seeded them last spring and they were growing last summer and overwintered, it may be something else flowering…

1 Like

Yes these seed were put out in 2023 and they grew out a little before winter.

Good point. To my knowledge there were no other cruciferous nearby but you never know for sure.

Can I cut the stalk off and let them dry out in a paper bag until they are completely dry?

I would put a organza bag on the top of the stalk and tie it tight and let it dry that way. I would cut it when the pods are dry.

1 Like

Best to wait until the seed pods have begun to dry before harvesting. Cut the entire stalk off and hang it in a dry place over a large box. Seed will drop into the box as the seed pods open. Some varieties do not open on their own. You can pull the dry seed pods from the plant and thresh them gently. Pro tip, I put the mature plants in my laundry room with a dehumidifier to speed the drying process.

I grow turnips for seed to sell.

2 Likes

Thanks

My results from a small collection of turnip seed. Some of the seeds are light and might not be mature.

1 Like

I just put the seedheads in a paper bag to dry. During the winter I separate seed from chaff and put it in paper packets.

1 Like