Two apple taste tests

Well done.

Love reading apple taste test results- hope more people do them.

I did this with hard ciders a couple winters ago and posted results.

2 Likes

It continues to be fascinating how different people taste different. I can understand that some folks have preferences for sweet or tart and will give a low rating to a variety others have given a 10. But samples from the same apple called both very juicy and dry? Flavorless and full flavored?

4 Likes

I guess you could get the results you’re looking for if you control who is doing the sampling. Sampling done by rare fruit growers isn’t going to get the same results as sampling on the sidewalk in front of a major supermarket!

Yes, true, except, even here there is, thankfully, a wide range of opinion.

3 Likes

Perhaps some people are responding to tannins and astringency when they say dry, while others are describing texture, density, or how the cells burst to release liquid.

4 Likes

We had some friends with kids over to do some cider pressing. At the end of the afternoon I conducted an apple taste test. We were a small enough group (three adults, a teenager, and two 10-year olds) that we could gather around the table at the same time. I described the apples and provided a brief history as I cut them up slices. I reduced the number of varieties to 8 from the 12 I have usually done, concerned about the younger girls’ attention span, but I think they would have been able to handle a dozen with no problem. I chose some top finishers from a few weeks ago, but added some later ripening varieties that haven’t been included in tastings before.
And the winner was Esopus Spitzenberg, easily, in its first time being included in one of our tastings. Highest rated – averaged 7.8 out of 10 – and ranked highest with two #1 votes, and one each for second and third. Esopus was consistently called tart or sour and still won. I thought the girls would not like it because of that. My wife and I (who did not fill out the rating sheets) thought it well balanced, not especially tart.

All the rest finished pretty close to each other, statistically insignificant. Connell Red, Tolman Sweet, Red Canada, Stayman Winesap, Northern Spy, and Grimes Golden all averaged between 6.6 and 6.5.

Power of suggestion? One of the adults commented on Tolman Sweet that it had a trace of licorice flavoring. I hadn’t tasted that before, but I tried another slice and agreed.

Poor Hubbardston Nonesuch finished last, but it still received a 6.1. It was my fault. After a couple years of getting better results by picking it two or three weeks earlier than I once had done, this year, even though there were lots of drops on the ground, for too long I kept thinking they are not quite ripe. As a result, in this taste test Hubbardston was called soft and mushy, and someone added “not a lot of flavor.” It saddened me because it had emerged as one of my favorite apple varieties.

3 Likes

Last Wednesday (October 11) we conducted our first and perhaps only public apple taste test for 2023 at the Trumansburg Farmers Market, where we are vendors. All apples were grown in our orchard. As in previous years we asked participants to sample apples and complete our form to rate each variety. First we asked them to grade them on a scale of 1 to 10. Then we asked them to pick their top three favorites, assigning them 1, 2, or 3. More than two dozen people sampled some apple slices, and one dozen people took the time to complete the form.

Because of space and time considerations, we brought only seven varieties. Hubbardston Nonesuch, Macoun, Smokehouse, Starkey, Stayman, Tolman Sweet, and Tompkins County King.

For the grading section, based on average score, the apples finished in this order:
Starkey 8.4
Hubbardston Nonesuch 7.6
Smokehouse and Tompkins King 7.5
Stayman 7.25
Macoun 6.9
Tolman Sweet 6.0

As you can see, all were above average. They were helped by a generous 7-or-8-year old who gave them all 10s and her mother who almost as generous.

In the ranking of top three favorites, the apples finished in a different order, but each variety received at least one vote for #1.

Tompkins King (most #1 votes (3) and most totals votes, and a weighted score of 14). A victory for a local hero – Tompkins County King was first grown under four miles from the farmers market.

Starkey (2 votes for #1 and a weighted score of 11)

Hubbardston Nonesuch (only one for for #1, but 4 votes for #2, and a weighted score of 11)

Stayman (2 votes for #1 and a weighted score of 10)

Tolman Sweet (weighted score of 9)

Macoun (weighted score of 11)

Smokehouse (1 vote for #1, 1 vote for #2, no votes for #3, and weighted score of 5)

Here were a few of the written comments:
Hubbardston: “it’s got a sparkle on your tongue” “tart and soul”
Macoun: “a classic” “too pithy” "sweet’ “nicely tart”
Smokehouse: “takes you on a journey” “tart but sweet” “crisp”
Starkey: “almost like a pear” “so light”
Stayman: “sweet” “kinda sour” “more better” “maybe good for baking”
Tolman Sweet: “True to its name” “Carpet tasting” “Sweet, nothing else” “odd texture”
Tompkins County King: “feels like pie” “too sweet for me” “too tart”
Note about the TC King: I sampled a few slices myself and discovered it tasted sweet or tart or bitter depending on the slice. That was odd.

15 Likes

Great job this year!!

2 Likes

My wife and I had an impromptu apple comparison in the car thus afternoon. She had picked up a Snap Dragon before heading out the door. She bought some from a roadside stand at a nearby orchard about a week ago. I picked up an Esopus Spitzenberg. It was the only apple from either of two trees that survived to harvest this year. The Snap Dragon was quite sweet but had a certain amount of extra character. The Esopus was not nearly as sweet but had a whole lot of character. My wife called the SD very juicy; I called it watery. The Esopus was juicy enough, with real flavorful juice to my test. Both apples were nicely aromatic, but we were in the confines of the car. After we traded several bites and exchanged our comments, we each finished our preferred apple in tacit agreement. I think you can guess which I preferred.

4 Likes

I agree the Esopus Spitzenberg is a nice apple, it seems underrated, though not in your taste tests.

3 Likes

Today during a lunch break from preparing garlic beds, my wife and I compared Ashmead’s Kernal to Jonagold. Both were very good and quite different. We agreed on placing Ashmead’s above Jonagold.

Preface: the weekend before last, we were going to compare several of this year’s one-only apples — apples from trees that due to the late freeze only produced a single fruit. There were complications, so it didn’t happen, so those we have eaten have been mellowing at room temperature in the dining room for a week and a half.

The Ashmead’s had little crunch. The Jonagold was going soft on one bruised side, but the bites we sampled retained its crispness.

My wife described the taste of the Ashmead’s as deeply sweet and spicy, with little tartness. I picked the Ashmead’s a week later than I ever had before, and we’ve usually eaten most of them in October. I liked the “deeply” description. The taste was not intense, but not mild. Not simply sweet, it was full flavored. Comparing this Ashmead’s to memories of Ashmead’s of yesteryear, I’d say it had finally come into its own. I had been a bit disappointed, because, while quite fine, it had never seemed to be the standout others have claimed it to be.

My wife noted that Jonagold had the taste characteristics of a modern apple. I think she meant too sweet without enough balance of tartness or other flavors. I liked the sweetness and did not think it was overpowering. It seemed quite comparible to Kidd’s Orange Red— something I hadn’t thought before. In my mind, it lived up to previous years as a great apple.

So two winners.

4 Likes

The few times I’ve tried Ashmead’s, it was very sour and perhaps moderate sugar at best (at least relative to the acid). It was hard for me to imagine how some people might like it better than Golden Russet.

Your description makes me want to try one that was picked later.

1 Like

Ashmead’s is very good here in my orchard. Nice sweet, spicy, and a nice wow factor when you eat it when ripe. We enjoy this apple in my family.

3 Likes

Yes, much the same here. Nothing else that I’ve tried is quite like it.

2 Likes