U of S Dwarf Sour Cherries as dwarfing rootstock for other cherries?

Has anyone investigated (or seen an article about) the possibility of using University of Saskatchewan Dwarf Sour Cherries as a dwarfing rootstock for sweet cherries?

I have been growing Cupid and Crimson Passion at my home in Toronto for a few years and they have been doing pretty well. The Cupids seem to sucker a LOT, and I am wondering if I could graft a sweet cherry onto one of those suckers and end up with a dwarfed sweet cherry?

I love the idea but had not considered it. Were you thinking about a Lapinā€™s or Stella maybe something a long those lines? Im not sure they are compatable but it sounds like something worth a try. I realize you have rootstocks in the form of suckers but have you considered Gisella 3 or 5 to dwarf the cherry. See this link http://m.raintreenursery.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.raintreenursery.com%2Ffruit_trees%2Fcherries%2F&width=320

You can see rain tree is not the only place offering Gisela giselacherry . If I were you I would just graft some sweet cherries on some of the romance series cherries and see what happens. If those failed I would use Gisela as a plan b for dwarfing cherries. You have the rootstocks might as well try them.

Thank you! I have only grafted apples and pears before, using whip & tongue and also bud grafting. Is there a preferred method to use when grafting cherries.

Im no expert but I have grafted them with success. The method of grafting is not a big deal but the timing is crucial. Make sure the rootstock is starting to bud out before you graft the scions on.

1 Like

This summer I am going to try grafting Stella and Bing onto Evans (Bali) root sprouts. The Evans seems to be a natural semi-dwarf. Has anyone tried this combo? Thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to hear how your grafts onto ā€˜Evans Baliā€™ turned out.

I have grafted a sour cherry called ā€œIdealā€ to carmine jewel. I didnā€™t bench graft the whole tree over, just added 3 or 4 grafts to a small bush. They seem to have taken well. So well that I can no longer tell which branches are grafted. hopefully they fruit this year so I can differentiate.

1 Like

Thanks for your interest, Johann. My plans for grafting sweet cherries onto Evans sprouts have not yet materialized. After deciding on this grafting experiment, we went to Peru for a year for my wifeā€™s doctoral research, moved from Albuquerque to Odessa, TX to follow my wifeā€™s career in education, and then moved to Salem, OR in 2021. We seem to be settled now, and I have packed 3 Evans cherries with me all this time. They suffered greatly from transplant shock with all the moves, but have established well here. Next spring I plan to try sweet cherries on them once I find out which cherries are best for this climate. I do like the sweet-sour cherries Evans produces, but am just curious about it as a semi-dwarfing root stock.
I checked out your website and like your approach to a nursery. Nice.
take care, doug

1 Like