Ubajay (Eugenia myrcianthes)

I don’t see any thread dedicated to this fruit, which is aka Hexachlamys edulis (not sure which name is considered more correct). It’s been mentioned in a few posts, but mostly just in passing.

Allegedly the fruit has a peach-like flavor, but can develop garlic flavors as it fully ripens. I purchased two seedlings from the local Wanderlust Nursery and planted them out in the spring of 2021. They both were pretty damaged by the 6-day freeze in December with a low of 16°F/-8.5°C, but are regrowing from the base this year:

They are overdue for a heavy mulching and some fertilizer. Hopefully if we have a few milder winters in a row they can size up enough to survive the next cold snap better.

Has anyone else successfully grown this fruit? Any opinions on fruit quality or cold-hardiness? My understanding is the garlickyness varies from tree to tree, and there may even be two related species both labeled as this one, with one more garlicky than the other.

6 Likes

I have it too… but mine are not fruiting yet… :+1:

3 Likes

From “Frutas No Brasil”

5 Likes

Thanks! For others who aren’t fluent in Portuguese, here’s Google’s best attempt to translate that text into English:

5 Likes

Hey @swincher , Portuguese native here, the translation you show from google is spot on! Lol

Thats a great book @Richard . You have it?
I’ll get one soon for sure

220 euros in Portugal. Quite expensive book

1 Like

Hi Carl,
Yes I was able to purchase it through Amazon. It is very good. I am studying Plinias and it has been very helpful.

1 Like

@Richard Do you know if there has been an English language reprint of the old or especially the revised edition? I think the book was updated in 2015 but perhaps only in Portuguese. I am also studying Eugenia and Plinia and Frutas No Brasil is one of the best sources of information regarding species identification and characteristics of these fruits I have found

2 Likes

I am getting into plinias also now @Richard , so far got a hibrid, a Sabará, today i received a Cambuca (plinia edulis). I saw your posts before on plinias and others. Amazing what you have and your knowledge!

2 Likes

@bopcrane
There is an English translation of the 2015 edition text (only) available via PDF. It appears to be an automated translation with an older translator. For my own use, a little knowledge of Spanish and the present day Google translate (after text scan of a page photo) is a better solution. The pictures of fruit in the text are invaluable because they have a centimeter-scale background grid. For example, look at the Ubajay photo above.

3 Likes