Ugh! , the problem with a warm winter

I’ll second that. I’m collecting scion wood this weekend. It’s earlier than usual, but better now than later I suppose.

2 Likes

I think you owe the other moderators an apology- there is no double standard and the moderators had nothing to do with whatever happened to Blueberries comment- if it disappeared it was apparently the result of two members flagging it.

Scott is the one who most sets the tone of this forum and he does so with the lightest hand imaginable, which is a pretty good indication of what a great leader he is here. We are all very lucky and most of us are grateful that he has dedicated so much to this forum.

It’s extremely ironic that you talk about concern for spill-over from the politics topic, but I won’t go into that here.

Incidentally, there was nothing “deceptive” in my comment. The meaning couldn’t have been clearer.

5 Likes

Maybe your trees just miss you and are crying out for attention. Hopefully the photograph is the exception, you must give your friend better instructions next time.

1 Like

The topic has been flagged for moderation. We are looking into this. Please in the meantime remember to be respectful to one another.

2 Likes

Had two of my mulberries wake up early and get fried last week will see how bad it is later this spring.

Don’t look now…but the whole Southeast and east coast should stay nice and mild the 2nd week of Feb…as a cold trough sits out west… from S Texas to Maine… should be well above normal…with a heat blast for Florida (of course…)

Same thing is happening in Europe…(no winter) and Japan has been very mild… and looks to stay that way.

2 Likes

this is the mildest winter we’ve seen in probably 10 yrs. or night time temps are warmer than our daytime averages for the month. no problem here of anything waking up early but come april / may late season frosts could be a problem if plants come out of dormancy early. its very rarely happened here though. usually our snowpack keeps things cold enough so they don’t come out of dormancy too early. if we had little or no snow, i would be worried.

1 Like

A few years ago when we had mild Feb and followed by a few days of a single digit temp in March. Most growers in our areas lost almost all stone fruit and a lot of pomme.

It looks like it could head that way again.

Of course it could happen, which is why fruit growers in our region dread mild winters. We just have to hope for an early spring at this point with no sudden drops into low 20’s when it arrives.

I think it’s sequential days in the '50’s that are the real threat to rush trees out of dormancy. Until my cots start to really swell I’m staying cool.

@alan

I dub thee my official “hippie optimist”.

May you optimism reward us with abundant harvests.

BTW, What effect do normally cold temps have on killing off insectoid pests. Are we in for a higher level of insects and pressure if temps stay on the warm side.

Mike

3 Likes

That’s pretty complicated and not my level of expertise. I know very cold winters are hard on stinkbugs, but not much beyond that. I always seem to get by with the same general insecticide regimen, just having to do some extra apps at a few sites every season. Although new pests come and sometime create havoc. One year it was stinkbugs, but only at a few sites right by the Hudson river whee they wiped out a lot of the peach crop at the problem sites. It never happened again… yet. But now I react to first signs with a pyrethroid. Hasn’t been a regular issue though.

Anyone have the time to flag every comment in this thread that isn’t explicitly/exclusively related to the original post?

1 Like

Actually I got yelled at for flagging a comment.

Alan was one of the people who I had a problem with too.

Good ol boys club, means nothing can be done. Admins rule.

Just saying.

1 Like

AS for warm weather, the topic, I live in WA and it has been so warm in Vancouver I have not had snow at all in my area. (well it tried, and quit)

I am not sure if my flower bulbs will rot. My fruit trees do have start of some life, but not as bad a bud breaking as the photo above. Time will tell.

That may well be the reality David. But, I’ll say this, nobody came to this forum to discuss politics.
Adding that as a category to discuss was a mistake from the conception.

(Speaking of conception, it’s like pregnancy…you are or you aren’t.
This is either a political forum or it isn’t. Can’t be a ‘little bit’ pregnant.)

2 Likes

Folks, we should primarily be self-moderating in discussions like this. Two people flagged one post, it is gone. Only one person flagged another post, it is still here. It is hard for the admins to wade in and try to be fair, the flag system is really a better way as it comes from the community. Please use them.

The only case where use of flags has sometimes gotten a bit out of hand is in the politics category. Maybe it is finally time to remove it.

4 Likes

I have flagged all off topic replies in this thread, including my own. I will flag this comment once it’s posted. I encourage others to do the same.

1 Like

Politics section? I’m not seeing a politics section anywhere?
That could be fun.

1 Like

Hi Carlon,

I could answer your question in a PM, but as others may have the same question, I will answer your question publicly.

The politics section is reserved for level 3 members, and even then, it’s an “opt in” category. What that means is that even for level 3 members, the posts don’t show up on a members “feed” or latest posts page. No members see any of the Politics category posts unless they click on the Politics category itself.

There was a lot of member debate on whether we should even have a Politics category, since this is a fruit forum, but in the end we decided to allow it, with very limited access.

Here is some of the discussion about it. The discussion about it is in the Lounge (restricted to Level 3 members) since the politics section also requires level 3 access.

https://growingfruit.org/t/controversial-topics-in-the-lounge/18722

2 Likes

Thanks @Olpea. Politics (like religion) can be a land mine. However, if folks are civil and appreciate others are entitled to opposing views things should work (in theory lol).