Ugh! , the problem with a warm winter

I did look and I don’t like it, lol. My blueberries may just bloom next week, at least some of them and I’m starting to see too much swelling of the other buds. With a few days in the 50s and even 60s and a lot of nights mid 40s I’ll be watching everything closely. Just glad I cut my scion wood back in the middle of January. The only plus side is I think I can put my onion seedlings outside for a while to make room for the other seedlings I need to start under the lights.

1 Like

On the plus side I am way ahead on my pruning this winter, so many nice days to get out and enjoy the weather and prune. I did maybe 40 trees between yesterday and today. Pruning in 20 degree weather is a lot less fun than 40’s or 50’s :grin:

8 Likes

I’ve been pruning pretty much constantly since mid-Dec and only a couple of days have had that typical bitter winter north wind. We’ve had very little snow and if there were more sky-blue days, conditions would over-all be perfect. I can’t remember the last time I had to prune on a single digit day.

Fortunately, the forecast for the next two weeks doesn’t look crazy warm enough to wake the babies up. Growing fruit is for the gamblers among gardeners.

If I see a mosquito or leaf footed bug in February, I’m going nonorganic this year!

2 Likes

image image

Signs of early spring?

I got two roses in the ground.

3 Likes

Wow. Green. A color I’m not likely to see for 2-3 months.

2 Likes

It’s already bad enough that government politics exists in the first place, it way to often brings out the worst in people, it should not be in a place that is supposed to be a positive place. I hate government politics with a passion. I vote, yet that’s it. I don’t need to pay any attention to anything else.

3 Likes

Isn’t it still a bit too early to be doing winter pruning? I mean, we could still get some very cold weather before spring. Wouldn’t it endanger some trees, especially stone fruit, to be cutting on them now?

As early as mine were pruned this year they will likely already be healed by the time any cold weather is here now. I pruned around last of December through the first of January. Last year I was going to wait til February to prune and never really got a chance because of how warm last year was by then and wasn’t going to miss my chance this year :smile:

I think it’s dangerous to prune peach trees shortly before temps dip into single digits. I know apple trees harden their wounds a couple weeks after pruning, or so I’ve read. I wonder if peaches do the same.

I suffered the consequences of pruning peaches right before such a drop on one occasion over the years. It probably wan’t the only time I’ve pruned them before such an event but I don’t keep good records on the subject- I’m not that good.

2 Likes

I did look at the 10 day or 14 day forecast prior to pruning and the weather was showing unseasonable warm for that coming period as well. So a cutting I went…

Also we haven’t been hitting single digit temps the last few years but on rare occasion. We have had some low teens early in the winter but nothing like that in the last month.

1 Like

Alan, I thought it was different when pruning a dormant tree vs summer pruning. Less issue with wounds to heal.

So, what happened to them? Did it eventually kill the tree, or cause some dieback on that part of the tree?

If there’s no forecast of temps of say, below 15 degrees for the next ten days, would it be okay to prune pomes? We have a had a few nights in the low teens a few weeks ago, and considering it’s still the middle of winter, I would expect more.

I’m talking about the danger of cambium injury from extreme cold. For most varieties of old apple trees injury from pruning isn’t supposed to occur until it drops to about -25 and if pruning was done a couple weeks before that I’ve read the wounds harden off and you don’t get dead cambium around the wounds. For peaches I’ve had injury and death when it dropped to about 7 degrees immediately after pruning.

That’s what happened- they were only about 4 year old trees that had been transplanted the year before and had one growing season to recover. I lost a nectarine and a peach out of about a dozen peaches and nectarines. 4 or 5 others suffered some cambium injury but recovered.

I had songbirds come to feeders this week.

2 Likes

Just curious as to what you’re pruning now.

All my stone fruit are in the same location they were planted in. At any rate, I’ll wait until next month before I do any pruning of them or pomes.

subdood I might wait until late April if I were you to prune the peaches…after you see if all the blooms get frozen or not since there will be an early bloom and most likely late freezes. That way, if any fruit do set, you won’t have removed it until you can tell what the results are. That late a pruning won’t do much harm to them.

1 Like

65 degrees in SW Virginia at 9am and may reach 70 today. Unheard of. Fruit trees, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Pls dont open your buds…

3 Likes

71° F here in Middle Tennessee yesterday :man_facepalming: raining and a bit cooler today but I am sure many things are going to start waking up!

1 Like

In 10 or so days that heat will be back…and might hang around for a few days…