Unintended Plum Cuttings

I now have two Hollywood plum trees. One about 5 feet tall, and the other a couple feet. They both bloomed this spring. The short one is in a tree tube, it got transplanted this winter. The bigger one a ear earlier. It poked out of the 5’ tube, so it got a cage and I’m trying to train down some of the branches.

I poked some of its prunings in the ground. There are a couple that still look reasonably promising. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Hollywood seems especially good at growing from dormantcuttings. I’ve done a couple of others that way too. I have several Hollywood plum trees, and a couple of other plums on Hollywood rootstock. The seem to stay at a nice size, too.

I have three Hollywood plum bench grafts that I am hoping will survive. They seem to be doing better than the other varieties. However, none of my bench grafts seem to really be taking off. I have about 4 Inch worth of Hollywood scion remaining. After seeing your success with cuttings, I am now considering trying to root it.

I have a hollywood plum that I purchased in 2020. I’m just about to prune it for this year, and I saw this thread. I’ll probably stick some of the cuttings into the ground to see if they grow!

For those of you who have done this with hollywood plums (@Bear_with_me , @murky), have you used the hollywood plum as a rootstock to graft other things onto?

Reading up on this forum, I saw that Adara can act as an almost universal rootstock/interstem: Adara (Puente) Plum - Fruit tree, rootstock & interstem - General Fruit Growing - Growing Fruit. It seemed like some of the discussion was that Adara is a P. Cerasifera, like Myrobalan, which is why they make such good rootstocks and interstems.

Since Hollywood is also a P. Cerasifera, could it also be used as a universal rootsock? In a year or two, could i graft peaches, euro plums, cherries, etc., onto my hollywood cuttings (or onto my original hollywood tree)?

I’ll probably graft my smaller Hollywood to Japanese plum or pluot. I haven’t done it yet. Bear_with_me has grafted several things to it in the past.