Unintentional Asian Pear Experiment

Maybe it would be more interesting with a picture. I should have taken one, although not much to see.

I have a relatively small, less than 10’ tall maybe 8 years old Asian pear tree that I’ve gradually multi-grafted adding the 5th and 6th varieties this spring. The original tree is a Hosui, I think form a big box store like Costco. As with other Hosui around here, it blooms but doesn’t generally set fruit. The Chojuro on the same tree is pretty reliable, and I see Korean Giant is precocious and wants to make fruit.

This year there were 4 or 5 fruit setting on the Hosui, and so I took that into account in selecting which branches to graft over, and which to leave. I ended up leaving a branch that is above one of my main grafts, because it had a couple Hosui set on it, and figured I could just remove it after it fruits.

The last couple of times I took a stroll past the tree, I didn’t notice any fruit on that branch, so figured they were drops. Since I’m in the habit of carrying my sharp bypass pruners with me when I make my strolls, I decided to relieve the tree of that 1"+ diameter branch and give that young graft some more light and growing room.

I bent the branch down and gave it a once-over to reaffirm there were no fruit on it, then took out by pruners, selected my spot, and began to squeeze.

Well, 2/3 of the way through making my, very clean, cut I noticed 2 fruit hanging on the about to be removed branch. So I pried the cut open, pulled my pruners out, gave it a look, then backed away and left like nothing had happened :). You can’t tell from a foot away that anything has been done to it.

I bet it will heal in a week and go about its business, but we’ll see. I suppose I could wrap it or something, but probably won’t.

6 Likes

It will likely heal with no problems. I pretty much split a young Asian pear in half while trying to spread its branches. Wrapped it up with parafilm and it was good as new 2 months later.

1 Like