Unreleased University of Saskatchewan prarie cherries we want & what we know about them contrasted with romance series cherries

Some more releases are on the way.

https://research-groups.usask.ca/fruit/Fruit%20crops/sour-cherries.php

7 Likes

Hi folks, I am new here. I am in Ontario, Canada. I want to plant 3 cherry shrubs next spring in my frontyard, trying to determine the ones that are more compact and more sweet, thus reading a lot now about different sour cherry varieties. I have a question, was anybody able to get The Sweet Thing Cherry (hybrid of Carmine Jewel and Erdi Jubileum) from the latest release of U Sask, or d’Artagnan cherry already?

3 Likes

@Lena

Here in the United States i have not seen the variety offered yet. Began looking after @Edoil posted above. Have been keeping an eye on it in multiple posts and on websites in Canada
https://treetime.ca/compare.php?pcids=230-524

" The Sweet Thing Cherry is a sour cherry hybrid of Carmine Jewel and Erdi Jubileum that produces sweeter and firmer berries than other cold-hardy sour cherry varieties. The berries are a deep burgundy red and quite sweet, making them excellent for fresh eating and also desserts, jams and jellies.

The Sweet Thing Cherry, or the Jubileum, is highly suckering so it can establish your hedge quickly, or fill in gaps."

Resized_Screenshot_20211026-163213_217479694258860

4 Likes

I actually subscribed today to TreeTime e-mail notification for these cherries. D’Artagnan cherry also sounds interesting to me

3 Likes

Sounds like a good one to add to my want list! I have jubileum. Still looking to get the romance series… Cupid is another one unavailable in the us, sounds like the best of the romance series…, ive been searching and emailing but it sounds unavailable to us so far. :smiley:

2 Likes

@PaulinKansas6b

Check with Bob Purvis I bet given his connection with NAFEX he still knows exactly what’s going on.

Bob Purvis
Purvis Nursery & Orchard
1568 Hill Road’
Homedale, ID 83628
Purvisrc@msn.com

@Bernie can you help us out with more information possibly on this cherry? I hope your still using the pictures I gave you for top working a large pear for your Alberta Facebook group. Bernie you know a lot about importing / exporting as shown by all the work you have done with the Russian pears and other projects. Do you know if these cherries are making there way into Alaska yet or to some of the large nurseries like Gurnies in the Dakotas? Gurney's - America's Most Complete Seed and Nursery

1 Like

@lena, I don’t say this lightly. I have purchased trees from all of the Canadian suppliers.(not green barn - I was warned) There is only one I would say this about. I have purchased from tree time only once, and I swore I would never purchase from them again. That being said I too am on notification, because nobody else is saying they will offer them this year. Sorry to lower your expectations.

3 Likes

These cherries are so new nobody has them that I am aware of in Alberta. So nobody seems to have been able to taste or grow them except for the U of Saskatchewan. It seems to take a few years of growing on the Canadian prairies until they are released to be sold in the USA. However I understand they are the least hardy of any of the releases, so not for particularly harsh climates as the other releases are. I hope to get some for spring of 2022. However they are usually tissue culture plants 6 inches tall, so a few years from fruiting.

5 Likes

@Bernie

Thank you for the information we appreciate it. Hope all is well in Alberta. At some point if you get some time people would love to hear more updates about the Russian pears you brought into Canada. My understanding is that some of the pears have trickled into Alaska now.

2 Likes

Just ordered 3 cherry bushes: Juliet, Cupid and Valentine on-line from Paramount Nursery, not sure if I get anything or not. The reviews on Google are very conflicting, from 5 to 1 star. Will see ,since nobody else has much and Sweet Thing might take years to come to market, who knows, decided to order Valentine instead

2 Likes

Thank you Bernie for the info.

3 Likes

I hope they do good for you!!

2 Likes

I think that’s a good decision. A tree in hand is better than five in the bush. Market conditions for fruit trees remain tight. Take what you can get.

2 Likes

Hi folks. My cherry shrubs just arrived, will have to plant them as soon as possible.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Paid almost $190 CAD for 3 of them. I paid much less for other berry shrubs from other places, but couldn’t find these cherry bushes anywhere else.

1 Like

Looks like Whiffletree has crimson passion and romeo if you’re trying to complete the full set.

I’m pretty sure Humber Nurseries in Brampton carries the romance series in the spring. You might want to check with them too.

3 Likes

Thank you, I will check them. I might buy in spring Carmine Jewel and might be another Juliet or Cupid, will see if I find more space for them. I want to leave one spot for the new Sweet Thing cherry bush from U of Sask for future, they eventually will release it

Unfortunately, there is no more Humber Nurseries in Brampton. They sold the land in 2019. They are still in Caledon though, dealing mostly with wholesale/contractors. Such a pity, it was so good place to buy plants.

Ah. That’s good to know. It’s been a while since I was there. Indeed, it is a pity. They had a really nice selection.