Unreleased University of Saskatchewan prarie cherries we want & what we know about them contrasted with romance series cherries

Dont plant them anywhere you would rather not have suckers coming up constantly… The suckers keep coming up unless you dig them out and they grow faster than my grass. Im going to remove my tree form juliet from my boulevard next spring because of this!

2 Likes

1 Like

Wow. My Juliets don’t do that. I wouldn’t mind a few suckers.

1 Like

Yes, it will be a problem for me, I wouldn’t want those suckers where I am going to plant them, but on your picture they actually look very good along the street, for me it looks better than to see the road. I would leave the tree there, looks like nice hedge developing.

2 Likes

I wonder if your Juliet grafted on some other root may be? If it is on its own root the suckering should be low.

2 Likes

I doubt its grafted, not sure where I got them originally but I dont know anyone thats grafting these, except some hobbyists.These arent ‘approved’ boulevard trees where Im located, so I could potentially be fined for putting them there. Ive got plenty of room to move bushes to, so Ill be digging them out either this fall or next spring and replacing with something better for that location…

1 Like

First couple of Juliet suckers showed up at 3rd leaf. By 4th leaf, so many of them.

I want to give them to friends. No one wants them.

3 Likes

I’m not an expert, but I’m with @lena I believe the tree form romance cherries are not on their own roots. On their own roots they are a bush.

Technically, you only planted 1 tree there that you are going to move. Suckers… you did not plant them, doubt you can be fined for what you did not plant :grinning:

Just planted Juliet and Valentine, will plant Cupid tommorow. They look so tiny now.
Planted all 3 now

2 Likes

I hear that usually Sandcherry used as a rootstock for grafting a sour cherry. Sandcherry is highly suckering, can form colonies. Would be interesting to see what those suckers are, Juliet or Sandcherry, or some other plant. If the tree is grafted, and I think it is, otherwise it would be a bush, the suckers probably won’t be Juliet, it should be the same type of the rootstock it was grafted on.

3 Likes

Floramaxx has affordable options for Canadian customers. I’m ordering haskaps and saskatoons this year.

Thank you, Ryan, will keep them in mind in case I need more of sour cherry bushes or huskaps. I got and planted 3 x Carmine Jewel trees, 2 x Juliet, 2 x Cupid and 1 x Valentine. Probably eight sour cherry trees/bushes are enough. I also got huskaps already, 2 Auroras, and one of each Indigo Gem, Borealis, Boreal Blizzard, Beauty and the Beast. I noticed that they have in their order form Sweet Thing sour cherry, not sure if they actually have it or not. Do you know what CVI red mark means next to the variety in the order form? Now trying to find persimmon tree(s) and couple of dwarf or semi-dwarf netctarine trees, looks like they don’t have any of these.

2 Likes

It sounds like you already have a great start to your collection! I believe the CVI indicates the plants are certified virus free. They come as tissue culture plugs, at least the haskaps did last year. I can’t help you with the others on your list but the reference section has a list that may help. Good luck!

1 Like

So they take care of the importing and ship from the US?
Or, they’re shipped form Canada?

They are from Canada. They charge a flat rate for the phytosanitary certification and a fee for currency conversion to the US+ shipping. It was about $30 + shipping last year, I just sent this year’s order and am awaiting an invoice. They cannot ship their cherries to the US as Honeyberry USA and apparently a few others have exclusive rights to sell them here. Their other stuff is fair game as far as I know and decent pricing.

1 Like

@Lena

They should be on their own roots. Some romance cherries like crimson passion are reportedly less hardy than others. It might make sense to graft cp. Western sand cherry is not compatible. Sand cherry can be used in many plum grafts but not cherry. They could use Evans or something similar as rootstock for romance cherries but I doubt they would. Carmine jewell , juliet and others make sense on their own roots

2 Likes

Gurneys, Henry fields conglomerate parent company has the rights but honeyberry was first is my understanding. Years ago I was going to import carmine jewell from Canada before anyone thought of it the import permit was over $10,000 and 2 years later gurneys did it. 10k to those companies is pennies as they sell enough to recover the fees. The parent company for those who may not know is gardens alive Gardens Alive! - Wikipedia! They own brecks, Michigan bulb and many other companies people believe to be separate entities. They bought them all out years ago. It’s my opinion juliet being so much like carmine jewell might eventually form heavy suckered like carmine jewell.

3 Likes

Agree, they should be on their own roots, but then when U of Sask advertised Juliet as very low suckering - something doesn’t add up here. Also, I still don’t undestand how they make tree form from bush. I just got resently Carmine Jewel trees on their own roots, and these definately look like trees, not bushes. On the other hand, my small Juliets, Cupids and Valentine look like bushes, not trees. These are my Carmine Jewel trees on the pic

1 Like

Graft a stick on some cherry rootstock. The roots cause the dwarfing and bush form in these hybrid Canadian cherries. So if on it’s own roots, I agree, it would be near impossible to make tree form. It appears they grow like regular tart cherries if grafted. Easy enough to see the graft union.

2 Likes