Unusual/local berries you grow/wild pick

tried them here 4 years ago. pretty plant but very few berries and spread like wildfire so i axed them. it was a improved one from oikios.

1 Like

I have Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, Persimmons,Grape, Muscadine,Mulberry,Elderberry, & Figs. Also Buffalo berry, Silverweed,Snowbush, Black Huckleberry,Black Gooseberry, Lingonberry. We have Sassafras, Black Cherry, Deer berries growing wild on the property.

2 Likes

We have algerita. Rather tart to eat raw. Most people use them for jelly, though some can use the juice to make algertia margaritas.
The blooms smell so fragrant.

4 Likes

Maybe not unusual for this forum, but anytime I mention to civilians that I grow haskaps I’m met with blank stares.

I also have a pin cherry volunteer that started growing last year. Makes tiny but quite edible cherries.

2 Likes

Thats a cool plant. Never heard of it before.

I had never heard of them before joining this forum, so that doesn’t surprise me. Everyone here makes them sound so good, but they don’t look like they are on the cards to grow here.

1 Like

I saw haskaps for the first time less than five years ago. But they do seem to be growing in popularity rather quickly.

1 Like