Update, my first bark graft (pear)

I performed my first bark graft this year. My inlaws had a bad tasting pear they were going to cut down so i asked if i could graft it to edible varieities.

I am going to stake them in a week or 2 so birds dont snap them off.

https://youtu.be/aRR6DtpDq2M

9 Likes

Good job.

1 Like

It may be a week or more from now because my friend is working on his yard for a wedding but I’d like to hear his 40-years of experience.

My first impression is you need to leave at least one of those trunks to continue nursing those grafts. And from there forward to thin on that trunk over the next several 3-4 years before removing it completely.

My friend may say to leave both trunks. I don’t know what he’s going to say. There isn’t a science to this. It’s more of a gut feeling.

Will post again when I hear from him.

By the way, “good job” to steal Matt’s response.

Dax

1 Like

I wouldn’t think you’d want a main old growth to steal the trees vigor for that many years when the other grafts have really taken off. However, I’m completely new to reworking old trees, i took most of my q’s from stephen hayes top working videos, specifically the one in his back yard. I look forward to hearing your friend or yourself have to say further about how to reshape the tree as these grafts grow.

Thanks Dax!

Sure thing.

Dax

I don’t keep any nurse trunk or branch on my topworked trees and they did fine the last 12 years or so. I still have to rub off the new shoots every 3 or 4 days until the understock stop sending out new shoots.

Tony

Tony,

How long do you wait before you decide which graft to keep on a bark graft?

1 Like

The diameter of your trunk is large enough to keep both of the grafts. I sometimes just leave them both alone and not remove any for a season and only prune out the crossing branches in early Spring.

Tony

1 Like

Never thought of keeping both, interesting, thanks!

1 Like

Update on the pear I regrafted at my in-laws. Doing really well, i cut a branch off the main tree that was coming down across the one graft.

5 Likes

Put the bamboo support on the one graft with garden rope & aglok.

Unwrapped the grafts as parafilm was coming off, they healed great.

3 Likes

Update the status and i trimmed the rest off…

Before…

After…

2 Likes

Update, tree is doing well. Should have some flowers & fruit this year. Red Kalle (clap) is deff the weakest of the varieties i put on it.

2 Likes

Thanks for updating, it is nice to see the progression. It’s hard to tell, but it looks like flower buds this year?

@DennisD @urbangardener @disc4tw
Persimmon bark grafts growing fast.
2 of new shoots broken off, but graft joint intact.
I screwed various pc scrap wood to rootstock and tied off scions for both branch and joint support.
I can see why someone might prepare a tree for grafting by starting out like bark grafting but then waiting for shoots that come up after cutting big branches be used as rootstock the following spring.
Comments welcome.
A better way to support bark scions

… I like @applebacon bamboo ideas.

2 Likes

Thanks fellows for the support suggestions and illustrations.
I have a number of double tongue bark grafts that took this year. So far none have failed but based on your experience I may take the precaution this fall once dormant to tie them up before next years growth since their growth angle is not the wide angle preferred. So as they begin to fruit I will need to assure I have good supports.
Dennis
Kent, wa