Update on Cumberland Valley Nursery (CVN)

I have ordered from CVN and Vaughn’s and have had good success with both. I prefer Vaughn’s because about all their peach varieties are Guardian rootstock. Most trees on Guardian are very vigorous growers which I’m a realizing I prefer. Last year on all but the late peach varieties on Guardian I was able to give the trees a really hard prune at about the 4’ height after harvest and and those trees still put on enough new growth to have a full crop this year.

Did that to a peach tree on Lovell and it did not get the same response.

I ordered 6 peaches from Vaughn’s today… they were pretty much out of the ones I asked for. They will ship them in March with a note that trees shipped to the north may need to be treated carefully for frost and freezing. These are the ones I wanted… Also, they only had 18 - 24" whips

Carolina gold
Harrow Beauty-OUT
Contender-OUT
Challenger
Intrepid

Carolina Gold is supposed to be a really good one.

1 Like

Carolina Gold is the best tasting peach I’ve ever eaten. And I’m not usually a big fan of peaches.

I’ve also been to Vaughn Nursery. I bought most of my plum trees from them. Prices are usually just a little higher than CVN, but the trees are good. Vaughn is just in the next town over from CVN.

1 Like

That is what Mrs. Vaughn was telling me. Very nice people…

Anyone receive their Vaughn Nursery order? Got a call today mine would arrive next week. Hope weather will allow me to plant.

I got mine, Thursday I think. Trees are in the ground. They suggested when I called that I might get small trees because of how late I was, but they were all bent to fit the 4’ box.

1 Like

I got my Vaughn order a couple days ago. The peach trees were small, but I actually prefer smaller peach trees (easier for me to plant and train).

1 Like

Thanks for the update Drew and Mark. Mine are out for delivery. Today would be a good day to get in the ground if I can get away from work a bit early and dig some holes. Next couple of days will be upper 50s and maybe 60 on Thursday. Then back to freezing.

1 Like

Got my order from Vaughn about 2 weeks ago. Only 3 peach trees to replace some that died from PTSL and 75 apple trees on G11. Peaches looked great. Apples were OK, but not fantastic. I believe they graded as 7/16 inch caliper. The 3/8 apples I received about the same time from Waffler on G41 were more uniform and looked better overall, but the rootstock shanks were about 15 inches long, which created a problem digging a deep planting hole in my soil. Also, the apple trees from Waffler were about $2 more than Vaughn.

EDIT: Just got my apple trees from ACN. 1/2 inch or better feathered trees which were shipped in a 5 1/2 foot box. Beautiful trees! Wish I could have bought them on G41 rather then B9. No question in my mind that the trees from ACN will perform at least 1 year and perhaps even 2 years ahead of the 7/16 or 3/8 inch whips. A little more money for twice as much tree!

4 Likes

Bent to fit!! Now I understand what you meant. Received mine bent to fit as well. Not bad, Carolina Gold could use some more roots and broken limbs. So here are my Carolina Gold, Intrepid, and Challengers.

I don’t think I made this very clear that these were from Vaughn’s Nursery… didn’t want to confuse since the title said CVN.

The Carolina Gold died before the season was out… never left out and Vaughns wasn’t very receptive to doing much about it… all the others did well. Now that I looked back at this message I did say the roots on the Carolina Gold wasn’t all that. Interesting how both CGs died and the others did really GREAT!..

4 Likes

Planted the 6 peaches yesterday, it was a nice 60 degree sunny day.

This morning.

2 Likes

For the price you paid for them, those are great looking trees. I
always prune off the top feathers, and plant them as 30 inch whips.
I like to develop my own scaffolds, and the trees will grow faster without
the feathers.

1 Like

Does anyone have the latest CVN catalog they can post? Did anyone order from CVN for Spring 2018 - if so how were the quality/size of the trees? Anyone know when they start taking orders for 2019? Please share any opinions on CVN.

I’ve ordered many trees from them over the years and have never been
disappointed. Posting their catalog is impossible to do. Call them
and they’ll send you one. 800-492-0022

So I called them - they take orders in May for 2019 and they are sending an old catalog.

Thanks -

Richard