"UpDated" 2018-19 Figs Cuttings Rooting Propagating Experiment in Coco Coir Vs Perlite Vs Sphagnum moss Vs Pro mix HP Vs 3-1-1 Mix

The growth just went back to normal on Black Greek… We will have to compare notes later on.

1 Like

Thanks sure I will keep an eye on these and will compare notes.

1 Like

Here is another update on 6-22-2018. Figs are loaded with figs and this happen in last two weeks or so.

8 Likes

Figs fest in October !

2 Likes

Yes Can not wait to have some ripe figs.

1 Like

I posted this as its own topic but since I started the figs while reading this thread I thought I would come back here and link to it. These (NoID) starts are from local trees that fruit well, though are in a slightly warmer biome in town. My own ‘established’ in-ground fig trees are a tiny Hardy Chicago, a Negronne that is doing OK, and an Atreano that is vigorous.
(Excellent collection, Naeem!)

2 Likes

I would just plant these now instead of more waiting. I planted four last year but covered with leaves and came out ok.

1 Like

I hope to plant today. Thanks! Also, I had one each Desert King and Latarula sticks that I had planned to try to graft but instead just stuck in some mix. They rooted and look good. Bonus!

2 Likes

Good luck with these and I suggest to protect these at least for the first year.

Yah, these two recent ones are so new, so late in the year that I may just up-size the pots and then keep them in the garage this Winter. We normally have pretty mild weather but every few years we’ll get down into the teens…sometimes lower. My new (last year) very small, Hardy Chicago barely survived its first (fairly mild) Winter out. Thanks!

2 Likes

Do any of you know whether Dominick would survive in ground here in zone 8a? Our winter last year was cold with a low of 9 F one night but in low teens several nights. We rarely see low teens but do get into low twenties fairly often. A young Celeste died back to roots here last winter but it was in an unprotected zone.

Katy

1 Like

I think a Hardy Chicago will be fine inground for you.

Tony

2 Likes

I have three Dominick’s. Was wondering if I could put it in ground or leave in pot. My brown turkey does okay. Last Theo years has had some winter damage but does not die back. I’ve got a violets de Bordeaux in a pot that I guess will stay in a pot but wondered about being able to put the Dominick in the ground.

Katy

1 Like

Dominick’s is a Hardy Chicago type, should be very reliable for you even when if it freezes to the ground or you prune it hard.

3 Likes

Okay. I get it now…thanks!

Katy

1 Like

Dominick has survived 3 degrees Fahrenheit here and is said to handle colder.

PS:

It can survive zone 6 without protection. It can survive zone 5 with protection.

I’d plant is soon though to make sure it has good roots by the time of frost.

3 Likes

Here is another update on 07-22-2018, my figs are loaded and some of the pictures are just rooted cutting started this year and now producing.

20180720_19541920180720_19524920180720_19543720180720_19540320180720_195112

20180720_19551120180720_19591820180720_19594320180720_19595620180720_195933

13 Likes

Looking good!!

Katy

1 Like

Thanks Katy. Yours should be decent size too by now.

Very productive Naeem. Good work!! BTW, did you tips pinch your figs?

Tony

1 Like