Updated topic name: semi-dwarf and self-fertile pear?

Is anybody familiar with this particular tree? This is their description:
The Sugar Pear Tree produces small round bell shaped pears with ultra-sweet flavor. The skin is a smooth, yellow-brown with russet red blush. The flesh is a white creamy texture of superior quality. The Sugar Pear tree is semi-dwarf and self-fertile making it a perfect choice for people with limited space. The Sugar pear is good for fresh eating or preserving and ripens in mid to late August.
No information on root stock, disease resistance, tree size or shape. I tried to search for same name in other sources, but looks like it is there “own” home made name… The questions I have:
Is it disease resistant, how tall it is, is the shape upright, when does it start to produce?

1 Like

It sounds a lot like they are describing seckel pears, which are sometimes called sugar pears since they can be very sweet. They are a great pear and are known to be self fertile.

But I don’t think you can be certain of anything coming from Willis Orchard. They are pretty well disliked by people who have used them and are known for mis labeled plants, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, something was telling me that about them… Lack of information is never a good sign.

1 Like

Galina,before you buy from any on line nursery, please google Scoop on + nursery. Scoop on Willis Orchard shows 3 positives and 7 negatives.

Scoop on is done by a garden watchdag, Dave’s garden. I use it when I want to find out how reliable a nursery is.

2 Likes

Always good advice. And actually those numbers are just in the last 12 months. Their total negatives are 205 vs. only 180 positive. Yikes!

2 Likes

Thanks, but I do better, I ask here! :grin:The purpose of my questions was not only to find info about the tree and the nursery - I hopped to get advise what to buy - and I am getting it! :grin:

1 Like

I wouldn’t buy anything from Willis Orchard.

3 Likes

I got the point that I don’t need to buy that particular tree from that particular seller. Is there any pear that can fit this description and be a real thing I can buy? I checked seckel pears, but reputable sellers state that they need pollinators.

1 Like

Pears are so easy to graft, you can select several varieties that you would like to have, buy a tree with the most vigorous variety among these and then graft others onto it. I’m not a pear expert but there was a lot of pear variety discussions on this forum, which you can read to help your selection.

2 Likes