Upper Midwest Growers

@northwoodswis4 we’ve planted it for friends and family in eastern SD. They’ve had great luck with it and we’ve enjoyed the flavour. Has that not been your experience?

All attempts have winter-killed, in spite of looking thriving in fall. I’ve planted at least 5 peach trees over the years.

1 Like

@northwoodswis4 iirc you are in a more rural setting? All of the Contenders we have known have been in a protected, urban setting. So there might be a microclimate boost of some kind happening.

Five or six years ago we offered to plant my grandma a peach tree (Contender). She wouldn’t agree to it, saying “I’ll be dead before I get any fruit!” Well, we did it anyway. It’s fruited the past two summers, so heavily she has to thin it, which she says “breaks her heart”. She used to buy lugs of Colorado peaches at the grocery store, but no more… now that she’s tasted them fresh from her own tree she won’t have them any other way. Any she can’t eat fast enough she preserves. She guards those jar peaches like treasure.

2 Likes

As in Sioux Falls or Lake City (ish)?

@smsmith Sioux Falls.

1 Like

Huge difference climatically from Sioux Falls to the cities.

@smsmith I guess I don’t follow. It’s growing well for friends and family in Sioux Falls, why wouldn’t it also grow well in the Cities?

Hemp?

Going from Sioux Falls to the cities is like going from the cities to where I live. You really can’t compare winter extremes from one place to the other. The cities are in the “banana belt” when it comes to MN weather, but the weather there is much more “wintry” than Sioux Falls. I suppose you’d have to live in/near each to understand.

@smsmith I understand what you’re saying but I was thinking Sioux Falls was more approximate (or not) to @northwoodswis4 overwintering conditions.

I grew up and lived many years in SD and nearly a decade here in the Cities, I do understand the differences. There are absolutely things I can grow here that I wouldn’t even bother trying back home. They aren’t a 1:1 sure but a sheltered, urban setting and microclimate are somewhat comparable vs something more open.

Maybe. Comparing what survives/thrives in Sioux Falls/area to MPLS/STP/area is about akin to comparing what grows here in Long Prairie to Warroad.
Winters suck and are cold in all of the locations. “Cold” and “suck” just are relative…

2 Likes

Well, maybe global warming will kick in and you will get peaches. I can’t even get a Siberian-c to grow.

2 Likes

Cannabis, hard to get it where one wants outside. Lack of terpene production outside. One needs Indica landrace strains that are meant to grow out side in this zone.
Just for fun, I don’t use product anymore. I give it away. Legal here too, you can grow 12 plants. I usually grow 3 or so. If I can get it where I want it, I will sell wholesale to legal distributors. I’m not there yet. THC level is not an issue, it’s terpene production.

4 Likes

BlockquoteThat is how I thought of Colorado too. I thought of places like Colorado and Wyoming as midwest and places like Illinois, Michigan and Montana as farm country. That is the issue. What defines midwest.

In A Geographical sense it makes Sense
In A Geological sense it doesn’t

you guys are so bone dry

A better way to Define the USA Is

The EAST
The west of East
The Central East
The Mid West
The west
The West of west (Hawaii )
The edge Of west (Guam )

The Outer East (Puerto Rico )

Do you think it is lack of terpene production outside or that when the plant gets too hot, the terpenes, being more volatile, evaporate or bake off essentially under the sun? Have you ever tried using a shade cloth over the plant during the hottest parts of the day? Would be interesting if you put a 50% shade cloth over it just for the peak intensity hours to see what that would do…

I don’t know? Some of these strains come from very hot areas. I think the strains were developed to be grown under lights. The ones that performed best under indoor growing conditions were chosen. Although you could be right. It could even be rain.
It’s not that hot ever here compared to California. I’m trying some Indica that ripens early to mid October, which is a plus here. So far I have noticed Indica strains have the most terpenes outdoors in my temperate climate. I found one called Papaya that retains good aromatic qualities. I will next year grow out a few, and keep seeds from the strongest scented strain and hope to adapt plant to area from growing here for years and selecting the best…
In 1982 I got one ounce of flower from California, it was one flower, sensimilla (seedless female, grown without males). It did have one seed. I grew it outside and it was EXACTLY the same. Forty years go by and I can’t do that now. Most strains are now grown indoors, I’m not in California. So the strains I got from tiger genetics are of
strains obtained in the 70’s and grown outside in California. Namely an Afghan strain Tiger genetics says they have kept pure since obtaining in the 70’s. I have high hopes, first year trying this strain. All plants have produced some seeds although I have found few male flowers, not enough to ruin buds, maybe 25 per plant, if even that. Growing seeds out I have had to pull males once only, but I just started. Just fun to try to do. I’m breeding figs and brambles, and pluots too, I have many interests. I don’t expect to get very far, more of practicing the art of horticulture. I did develop a black raspberry that is better than any other out there. Bigger berries and primocane fruiting.
Some berries cover a quarter. These are still very unripe. Rare to see here a primocane branch of Black Raspberry.

Working on a yellow cap primocane fruiting black raspberry.
Here’s mama, daddy pictured above.

1 Like

I like primocane, easier to maintain. I know indoors they say adding UV helps to increase terpenes so youd think that being outside would help instead of hurt, maybe too much of a good thing… Have you ever tried growing autoflower cannabis?

Yes, starts flowering too early for here, well that doesn’t matter, but hardly any yield as plants cannot get very big before they start flowering. I plant seed March 15th and harvest in November. Autoflower has to be started a lot later else it flowers at 1 foot in height.

1 Like

Yeah, the clock is ticking once germination occurs. Some autos will get 3ft or taller, but you cant really start them early in the season and let them struggle with cold soil etc. In my area, usually 2nd week of june is about the right time to start them to get an early sept harvest. Still its one of the few options to beat the early frosts we have because most photos wont finish in time around here.

1 Like

I do have a few seeds, I may try them in June. Tiger genetics offered seed that is ready in early to mid October, that works for me. I germinated two of them and the plants are small compared to a couple of strains I’m trying to adapt. I’m hoping these strains are better.
They do not offer pure seeds of their closely held Landrace Afghan. But do offer crosses of it. I’m trying this one and Buddha Flamethrower.
https://tigerstripegenetics.com/shop/ols/products/cardiac-cat/v/357

2 Likes