Upper Southeast - KY, TN, WV, OH Valley etc

I try to stop and smell them when I can. I have several small trees that should have already been in the ground. I hope to get them there soon but who knows… :grin:

2 Likes

I finally planted out 9 potted apples last month. Good thing I did, as I’ve lost 4 of my trees that I planted 6 years ago, and probably will lose another one this year. Now I’m down to only 19 apple trees. :grin:

2 Likes

Got to 34 this morning, we have a couple more possible freezes this week, then it’s supposed to warm up.

Still waiting to do some plowing and mowing but it’s still too wet. Maybe start on that Tuesday, more rain forecast overnight.

Anyone planted anything out yet?

3 Likes

I put out 4 tomatoes Friday…no frost on them so far. Monday night is a possibility though.
Got 149 grafts done and may do a bit more.
Planted apple seeds, asimina triloba, and American chestnut seeds.

3 Likes

Nice where did you source your chestnut seeds from? They have blight resistance genes?

2 Likes

Just commenting to say hello since I was born in Kentucky and once lived for almost three years in Bluefield, WV. However, I was raised in Pennsylvania and have lived in New York State for 40 years. Since I only took up growing fruit trees 20 years ago, I won’t be commenting on regional orchard issues.

I do grow a Kentucky Limbertwig and a Grimes Golden to honor my former more Southern days.

5 Likes

I have 3 chestnuts, this the third leaf, from Letcher Co., KY.
Current seeds came from Jackson County, KY.

Trees in the forest.

2 Likes

I had two Grimes, one got blown over in a windstorm, but have one left. When we have got fruit off them, they have been very tasty. Tastes almost like a Goldrush to me.

1 Like

I have tomatoes and peppers in pots hardened off waiting for the right conditions. The garden is still too wet to till and the weather is still too unpredictable. I’m ok with that. They are under an awning with south exposure and a brick wall behind them. They stay warm at night and grow fast. I can bring them in if I have to. I have learned it’s better to plant too late than too early.

2 Likes

I’ve had poor luck / Grimes.
Obtained my third tree last spring.
It bloomed after Christmas, and I think is a goner…I cut it back to just a trunk thumb sized a couple feet above the graft. Golden Delicious is hard to do and not spray, also.

Anyone invite Farm Girl to the group?

1 Like

There’s a bearing age tree across the street from a project I’m doing…but considering the location, likely it might be contaminated by the Chinese chestnut. I told the Chestnut association about it last year.

1 Like

My tomatoes are still indoors, they’ve been sprouting over the last couple weeks since I planted the seeds. Biggest ones are about 3in tall.

Earliest we’ve ever planted out tomatoes was first week of May, now it’s around memorial day, because of May freezes.

Yeah, planting them out when it’s cool and damp won’t do them much good, they’ll just languish there until it really warms up.

3 Likes

True on the languish…but 50-something years ago I typically put seeds in a bed under canvass around first of March outdoors…and transplanted to garden as they got 3 or 4 inches tall. (And had to usually cover them to keep frost from killing them.)
Got tomatoes probably just 5 days earlier than those planted first of May.

But 5 days is something if you don’t buy any tomatoes at the store, and back then that didn’t happen.

1 Like

Sure hurts not getting free 'maters from the greenhouse any more!

2 Likes

We have about a 25ft tall Chinese chestnut next to our old house. I had to cut some of it back because some of the branches were rubbing on the shingles.

I hate those spiky pods, they are quite painful if you pick them up bare handed. Never have been able to get any nuts out of them, guess the tree rats get them first.

I don’t even know what they’re supposed to taste like.

@FarmGirl-Z6A, are you out there?

3 Likes

Looks like my frosts may be over… that is Nashville News 4 predictions… and it usually does not get as cool as they predict here at my place (Southern Middle TN).

It was cool and cloudy this morning, but the sun has come out this evening, looking good.

TNHunter

4 Likes

Light frost this morning. Low of 31.3F.

1 Like

Not sure here, but my tomatoes and figs are unharmed.

1 Like

Low of 32.7F here and an unexpected light dusting of snow. Tonight has more potential for damage for us, keeping :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Right at 32-33 this morning. Sunny now, but only 46 and crisp, last night we had some kind of ice go through, maybe it was graupel.

One more possible freeze tonight, after that it’s supposed to warm up, 80 for the weekend. Got a few trees in full bloom, but not a lot of pollinators are about, prob because of the cold.

2 Likes