Upper Southeast - KY, TN, WV, OH Valley etc

Great, calling dibs on scions from your Kieffer and Summercrisp for next year :grinning:

1 Like

Added WV and OH Valley. Members with similar climate nearby are welcome to participate.

5 Likes

Definitely. Many of the red fleshed apples have prettier blooms than the pink or red crab apples often planted in front yards for their pink and red glorious colors in spring.
Larger blooms also.

Got scions of Mottā€™s Pink and Roberts Crab to graftā€¦just got them. Brings total to 39 red fleshed apples.

Odysso is lovely in bloom. But so are they all if you like red, pink or fuschia or purple blooms!

4 Likes

I have a new friend in the PNW that has been sending me some of their cane fruitsā€¦

Marion has a more attractive twinā€¦ Silvan. Silvan tastes almost the same as Marion but has a 2X longer growing season.

20F is the point where there could be bud and cane injury.

To answer your questionā€¦ im trying almost all of them. Heavy leaf mulch at the base and likely frost cloth or tarping in the late fallā€¦ i consider these to be more of a hobby as we are pushing the zone here in 6B/7

Another option would be to lay canes on ground and cover heavy with leaves. I have some friends in Eastern Europe that do this technique to push zones on their cane fruits. I am trying some of their varieties as well.

2 Likes

Iā€™m down here in Christian Co., in southern west-central KY. I know many folks in ā€˜The Golden Triangleā€™ think that once you get west of E-town, (120 milesto my east), Kentucky ends, and ā€œthere be dragons!ā€, but thereā€™s another 100 miles of KY to my west.

Iā€™m a transplant from Alabama, by way of Middle Tennessee and mid-Missouri, but Iā€™ve been here nearly 30 years nowā€¦

4 Likes

Weather forecast sure missed the mark for western Rockcastle County. Around 31F this morning with a scattering of frost. I went out to the little greenhouseā€“where Iā€™ve got my tomatoes, peppers, etc.ā€”about midnight last night and turned some heat on. Good thing!

2 Likes

From Somerset it used to be 300 miles to the Mississippi Riverā€¦and 3 hours or so to get to the east end of the state. TN and VA and NC same thingā€¦long journey latitudinally.

Hmmmā€¦I donā€™t think I got under 40, but a little breeze may have prevented frost pockets.

Looks like a couple nights in 30ā€™s in the near term.
Still, Iā€™d have planted tomatoes 5 days ago if Iā€™d had a place prepared for them.

1 Like

It was 31 here this morning, not expecting that. Got a few more mornings to worry about, hoping theyā€™re frost days and not freezes. Very nice today though, almost 70, and sunny.

1 Like

Never heard of Silvan, where can one obtain them?

My blackberries are starting to leaf out. Looks like most of my raspberry canes arenā€™t, tho. Just canā€™t get them to work out here. Didnā€™t help that my dog dug two big holes in my patch yesterday, but those canes were dead anyways.

1 Like

Had a light frost here last night, as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the add @subdood_ky_z6b :+1:

I live on the Cumberland Plateau in middle Tennessee (very close to East Tennessee though) I am in zone 6b. Just 15 miles from me is 7a but going up in elevation changes the climate quite a bit!

I havenā€™t been as active posting lately but I do try and read on here quite a bit. Hope I am able to be of help if anyone needs any :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Like most of the USDA releasesā€¦good luck. Almost everything that the USDA releases gets sent to Canada and Europe even Australia where we can not enjoy them here. Once they leave our borders they never come backā€¦boo Anyways go to onegreenworld for Silvan and get on the waitlist.

As for your raspsā€¦etc check your pH. If you dont want to do that dig em up and give them a big dose of peat. Now is the time to dig up the roots and see whats going onā€¦

2 Likes

Havenā€™t heard from you in a while. Howā€™s the pear orchard going?

2 Likes

Here in central middle TN it looks like we may escape further frosts.
Of course, anything can happen but the forecast looks good.

2 Likes

Ya gotta stop and smell the apple blossoms once from time to timeā€¦too much brick laying can be rough on a good man.

2 Likes

Yes, SW Ohio above Cincinnati here.

2 Likes

Iā€™m down South. N Florida. Born and raised central Ohio. If I had the money to buy farm property in SE Ohio I would.move today. What a gorgeous farm land. My grandma. God rest her soul, was in Caldwell Ohio. Godā€™s country IMO.

5 Likes

I just ordered 50 red oak trees for my property for $65, great program and had no idea about it. Thanks for sharing

4 Likes

Everything has starting coming alive. I was out looking at things today! Several blooms in several trees but only time will tell if I get any fruit from some of the newer things :+1:

2 Likes