Upsize

Up-sized the containers today. We have a few more weeks until the weather is warm enough to plant outside.

9 Likes

I’m jealous! In our location the proper time to put them out is May!

3 Likes

April 7, 2023/Good Friday is a good time to consider planting for my location if the extended forecast looks favorable.

3 Likes

Not a reliable event (Good Friday)…first of all there’s nothing good about it, but second, groundhog day is just as appropriate of a marker for planting time. You could say “April 1” or April 15…so I don’t understand the 'Good Friday" thing…for it must be religious in nature, not a proven planting date.?

But if you said the 15th day of the first month … I’d be more apt to agree or disagree.

1 Like

Some people around here use it as a planting date too. I suspect that it’s less a religious thing as it is a way to mark a date that moves according to the lunar calender. Easter is always celebrated on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

I just have to wait until the ground warms up enough to turn and the frost danger is (mostly) passed.

4 Likes

Good Friday at my location is just a good time to start looking at the extended weather forecast. Even at this date I don’t plant everything at once.

I agree that people like a some specific type of date to use as a marker. Around here it is always Mothers Day people use as a date for putting in Tomatoes, etc. Anything earlier has proven challenging in recent years, but I may just push it this year if the long-term forecast looks good toward the end of April.

2 Likes

San Diego county is home to many growers of retail plants. Mother’s Day weekend is when their fax machines run out of paper.

3 Likes

No, pumpkins and canaloupe shouldn’t be planted in March or even April in zones 7 and 6.

1 Like

Mother’s Day is when the nurseries around here get serious.

2 Likes