US just finished wettest 12 months in history

I posted that with little thought from what I assumed were correct weather records kept by our Regional Airport. I will likely be eating crow, since with a further check the historical average is somewhere around 45", but the records gave me specific(specifically sketchy) stats from 2010. The Weather.gov site gave few stats, only calling it the 6th wettest June on record. I just found out that I’m not cut out to work in that field, ha.

1 Like

You’re right Alan, searching further I’ve found the historical avg is around 45", and the stats I posted last night are suspiciously high and only beyond 2010. It did confirm it was the 6th wettest June on record, but I’ll pay closer attention to that source in the future. The local airport here, along with the office in Paducah KY are generally reliable, or so I thought!

1 Like

It’s OK- we are involved in a hobby that really tends to encourage complaints about weather along with everything else that makes harvesting fruit really challenging. One misnomer is the term “average weather”. There is no such thing- only the average that comes from dividing the extremes that are really at least as normal as the average you come up with when you add up the years and divide them to come up with an average.

The problem is that if you consider the average normal, you are entitled to complain when, say, the rain totals are much higher or lower than the mean. The fact is that “normal” weather is a rare event that all fruit growers pray for.

It’s probably better to expect it to be either too dry or too wet, too cool or too hot and just deal with it.

I’m finally getting the kind of weather that helps create high quality fruit here, and guess what- I’ve still got problems that keep me restless. A couple of squirrels that ignore my traps, but not my nectarines, high brown rot pressure on same and after 2 years of seemingly constant rain, I’m having to spend time dragging around a hose again.

But I am eating tree ripened apricots and blueberries with my oatmeal this morning. I also have been eating great tomatoes and stopped buying them earlier than ever (because I started my plants on the second week of Feb instead of the last). We haven’t had to buy vegetables since the asparagus started coming in in May.

4 Likes

No sweat man. It’s not a big deal. Alan has it right, fruit growers have weather issues. I think we’re all a bit paranoid about the weather.

3 Likes

I harbor a deep seated and long standing suspicion that my local airport every now and then reports temps in Centigrade.

4 Likes