Using gooseberries

I’ve got a good crop of gooseberries this year and am looking for ways of using them besides jam. @Drew51 had a extensive list of ideas for Elderberries so that’s a good list for ideas but it’s not detailed recipes. See the Rooting Elderberry Cuttings topics (I don’t know how to reference his message).

Does anyone have a good gooseberry recipe besides jam?

1 Like

Simmered down I’d be they would nice on roasted duck or chicken, almost like a plum sauce

1 Like

Pie is wonderful ! You might use a recipe like this http://www.midwestliving.com/recipe/pies/gooseberry-pie/

1 Like

I made a coconut gooseberry cake a few weeks back. I found the recipe online. Mine turned out too dense. I am also going to try a gooseberry hard apple cider. I too have been looking for ideas, which is a good problem to have!

3 Likes

I found a recipe for a gooseberry sauce with trout. I modified the cooking directions and used it on fluke which I had in the freezer. It may not be for everyone but my wife and I liked. I’ll make it again. It should work well on strong tasting fish because the sauce has a very strong flavor and is tart.

I cooked the sauce in a skillet and reduced the amount of vinegar it called for. Next time I make it I may substitute lemon or wine for the vinegar. Once the sauce was cooked I cooked the fish in it.

Here is the original recipe that I based my sauce on:

1 Like

My uncle made strawberry and gooseberry pie. Half of each and plenty of ice cream on the side!

1 Like

That pie sound like a plan. If the predators stay away I should have plenty of gooseberries.

1 Like

This year I made a tart. 4 cups berries, 2 cups sugar…I like it, but it is a bit sweet. I also put a bunch of berries through my juicer (tailing and topping gooseberries is a pain), with the three sups of juice I added raspberrys to make a jelly. I like this combinations! Great clear red color.

2 Likes

This is an old thread but I wanted to add: If you look in Victorian cookbooks or recipes online there are usually many for gooseberry. One I remember that stands out was a gooseberry, rose water custard. Could be eaten alone or in a baked cake or tart.

1 Like

Wow! That sounds really good. I see Martha Stewart has a similar recipe. I will look around for one.

The Stewart recipe calls for green and red gooseberries. My green ones are fairly new. I need a couple years. I do have purple ones that so far no other gooseberries are like Black Velvet. It’s tart but makes one excellent flavor processed. I also have Jewel which is a deep orange color. Rather tart the first year, but last year was a bad year. Hoping it’s better this year. I bought it because a couple gooseberry growers said they liked it above all others. I’m not finding that true so far.

1 Like

@ drew51
I know that recipe sounds amazing! I have not tried it yet-maybe this summer.
I just saw the Jewel gooseberry-I have several cultivars but not that one so I was intrigued. I think my favorite so far is Hinnonmäki Red but for fresh eating. I haven’t gotten to the point of production where I am processing any, other than a black currant gooseberry jam I made a few years ago. We usually eat them up too quickly.

1 Like

It is the best one I tasted so far. Jewell this year was OK, better than last year. I still like Hinnonmaki Red and Poorman better. But Jewel has extremely large fruit! It’s decent so I’m keeping it. It was fairly productive for a young plant. For a green I have Invicta which is known as the highest producer of any gooseberry. Big berries too. Now to figure out the best way to grow these plants.

1 Like