Using rootstock from failed graft union

She’ll have to dig and find out if the limbs/sprouts have any roots. I’d bet at least one or more does.

1 Like

So . . . maybe I’ll just graft to all of them - and guillotine all but the best one this coming winter.

Or, Max . . . . maybe not! I can dig down before I decide to ‘give them the ax’. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

3 in a Hole. I’ve seen this before. I have enough trouble keeping my trees open - One at a Time.
I don’t know how anyone can do it with 3 growing so close together! I’m going to ‘google’ some pics.

3 Likes

That may work in California and drier places,but with your area’s humidity,it might be tough to do.

2 Likes

This sounds like what I imagined doing with my big ol’ persimmon. I cut it down to a 5” diameter stump last spring. A bunch of shoots came up, which I thinned out to 6 suckers evenly distributed around it, and grafted a variety of scions to them during the summer. I think most of those grafts took. My thought is after things warm up a bit, I’ll dig down a few inches around the suckers, shave off some bark just above where they come out of the stump, and treat the wounds with rooting hormone. Then l’ll pile up some soil a few inches above the wounds and wait to see if they strike roots later this year. I don’t really want to have a “six in one” tree.

3 Likes