Using the meat in our orchards

wait…I thought we all agreed the new no-worm talking rule!?! haha I’m totally kidding…it’s all good.

Actually, they had that cheese on an episode of that show Bizzare Foods w/Andrew Zimmern . Of course Andrew knew all about it and snapped it up and ate it like it was buttered toast. But the fun part was he took it to some other tables and showed people the tiny little maggots in it…lets just say they weren’t as enthused as he was! haha. Believe it or not, I’d probably try it. Somehow that is just light years different from things living inside PEOPLE (or dogs w/mango worms). And I love cheese, so there is that. :slight_smile: And undoubtedly every one of us have eaten more than a few bugs/larva in our orchads

2 Likes

they just drill a hole in the middle of a pecorino cheese with a drill, then let nature take its course. The fly comes on its own. Illegality has nothing to do with consumption, they just ignore EU regulations and make it at home. I remember asking other italians about their beloved fragolino wine being EU-illegal now (made with concord grapes, it is the best dessert wine). I said perhaps we could make fragolino in michigan and import it. They said no need, there is as much fragolino now as there used to be. I said “OK”.

Why was this wine banned in the first place? Just curious!

because vitis labrusca is a carrier for philloxera (sp?), and the wine industry has clout there.

1 Like

Happy to report my first catch

He just got an icy bath

3 Likes

squirrel gravy!

1 Like

mHpRgzo

ah … just cut out off and cook it well! :wink: squirrels around here are tick free.

There have been enough people around my area that have had tularemia from rabbits, even if rare, that I don’t take the chance. So, we target the full sized antlered orchard rabbits :slight_smile:

Thats fine, but please understand that your chances of getting tularemia from eating well cooked meat is absolute zero. You might make the argument that by cleaning an infected rabbit (which are still very rare in most parts of the USA) you could somehow get feces in your mouth, but that’s hard to fathom and I’d hope any chef would take appropriate measures against cross contamination when dealing with any meat (cleaning the surface, not touching raw meat to cooked, etc). In fact, your chances of getting tularemia from your dog are cat are far higher than from a rabbit. Or you could get it from a fly, mosquito, or tick, but the Tularemia bacteria cannot survive in meat cooked to proper temperature, so with proper handling and cooking no one here should be afraid to eat rabbit.

@TheDerek @joleneakamama actually brought those mango worms to our attention and I watched a few videos of that Vet in Africa taking them out like in your clip. Those things are Incredibly disgusting. Thank heaven we don’t have them here.

2 Likes

The trap is set again and I can’t wait to catch the rabbit that has eaten half of my bush cherry branches, honeyberry, raspberry and roses.

I had to get rid of the family dog recently. My youngest daughter developed a nasty allergy that was turning into asthma. Medications were not working and we ran out of options. The dog loved to patrol the backyard and no critter dared enter. Two weeks or so he’s been gone, and his scent must be gone now because it’s a rodent free for all back there. Tracks everywhere, eaten plants everywhere. :rage: I’m wishing I’d have bought a kill trap instead of the havaheart.

@thecityman
Everyone has their own tolerance to risk, and unfortunately I happen to be in an area where the disease is more prevalent so I prefer to avoid the risk. My concern is more about the risk of infection through skin contact (by cleaning an infected rabbit), but there are a variety of ways of contracting the tularemia (including breathing infected dust) beyond just infected meat. No matter the source of the infection, the thought of bringing possibly infected meat into my home is something I will avoid, no matter how properly prepared it might be.

Rabbits have several knocks against them in my area in terms of even being considered a popular food. Tularemia is just one. Another is the traditional abundance of more “desirable” wild game such as pheasants. Rabbits were seen more as a source of food for coyotes.

1 Like

yup never seen them here luckily either, gross. ever see sand flea removal?

I understand and I completely respect your decision not to eat rabbit. I hope I didn’t give the impression that I was condemning you or your opinion. It’s just that someone above ask if it was relatively safe and I was trying to confirm my answer that I felt it was. But just as you said, we all have to decide what level of risk is appropriate for ourselves and our families and I certainly would never presume to make that decision for you.

2 Likes

@thecityman

No worries. It’s cool that this site brings together people with so many cool experiences.

1 Like

well Derek, I have now!!! ha. Just when I thought wolf worms and mango worms were as gross as that kind of thing can be, thanks to you I just spent another 20 minute watching sand flea (Tungiasis) and/or “Jigger” removal videos. (I could never be sure if sand fleas and “Jiggers” were the same thing based on video titles. Anyway, clearly the most horrifying thing about these last pests are that - at least on the videos- they seem to be primarily on humans, wheres the other aforementioned worms were primarily on animals.

Just a couple days ago I was talking about how during the holidays we should all be thankful that we live fairly comfortable lives with sufficient food, warm and dry homes, and basic medical care and so on. If I /we felt that way before, a few minutes of watching those videos should really remind us how on our worst days we are far luckier than many people in the word. God bless those poor people with that terrible condition!

1 Like

“Honey, there’s a jackalope in the yard!” Were the first words out of my mouth this morning. Sipping my coffee and looking out the back window, and I see a rabbit with what looked like a horn on it’s head. Come to find out, rabbits can get HPV- a type of herpes, I think? And it can make strange growths on their heads.

Anyone ever seen this before? I’m inclined to think I shouldn’t eat such a rabbit.

1 Like

I think that’s a wise inclination!

These animals are not afraid of us anymore, i can get as close as 10 feet with some not all. We are visited by as many as twelve but most of the time 4.

5 Likes

Those deers liked your Kaki , figs, and that’s why they are friendly!