Vavilov pear

One of the interesting pieces of data found today when researching pears is that Vavilov pear is suggested as a very crunchy and good flavored pear. Does anyone have it? It is also listed in older documents as Rousselet of Stuttgart x Dr. Jules Guyot No. VII. It is PI 337446 in ARS-Grin.

2 Likes

I have it,( no fruit yet)from Fedco on OHxF97 and was pleasantly surprised to see some blooms even though it’s only on its 4th season. In my yard that counts as a precocious pear.
Let me know if you would like some scionwood

1 Like

Thanks, the only place I found it available is https://dancingoaks.com/

I don’t see it currently listed at Fedco. Did they discontinue listing it?

1 Like

Fedco told me they cycle some of their offerings in and out of the catalog. I wanted ‘Martha’ crabapple one time and they said wait a year or two and it would be back.

1 Like

I ate one off the tree today and thought it was pretty good, still crunchy. I picked the rest , maybe a bit early but decided not to risk leaving the few remaining since there’s a lot of critter activity in my orchard. I will let them rest for a bit before consuming. Medium small size fruit with an attractive blush

3 Likes

@Fusion_power I grafted Vavilov about 5 or 6 years ago on a scaffold branch of one of my semi-dwarf pear Frankentrees. It grew slowly, never did thrive, shy bearer of small-ish apples that appeared stunted. The wood was very brittle so I had trouble pulling branches to horizontal. I threw in the towel and now Harrow Sweet and Korean Giant are doing well in its place. Everyone should read what Stalin did to Dr. Dimitri Vavilov, an authentic Russian hero. I was drawn to the pear through that story.

Vavilov is also very susceptible to fire blight. I decided not to graft after doing due diligence.

I tried one after it was off the tree AND had ripened on the counter for about a week and I saw a color change, of course it is much better now! No sign of core breakdown, wonderfully sweet and firm flesh with a nice touch of acidity, skin is somewhat tough

2 Likes