Vermicomposting questions

Hi All, I am interested in vermicomposting and am not sure what the best way to go about it is. There are conflicting videos online. Use an old bathtub? 2 or 3 nesting containers? I would think a bathtub would be harder to harvest castings from than smaller totes. I also see that some people use the liquid that drains out the bottom as fertilizer and others say it is poison?
What works for you? Thanks, Dan

2 Likes

A mess of ‘poke’ would work for me about now…but it is not up yet! (Although Mayapple came up last week).

I’ve seen people use fancy contraptions and fail. For me, the best way has been a simple plastic tote or garbage can with holes at the bottom. Best are the free ones with holes already in them! I start with my neighbor’s horse manure. It is already loaded with worms and their eggs. In about 2-3 months I have a full fledged worm population. We eat a ton of eggs at home. My worm bin gets lots of the eggs cartons and egg shells. Worms love them and make a nice cozy home in the slots.

I’ve done this for the second time from scratch and it has worked for me each time!

2 Likes

I think that depends if your bin has gone anaerobic with too much wet/green stuff. If you have enough browns (leaves, newspaper, cardboard etc.) you shouldn’t have that problem. I place my worm bins next to my fruit trees. The trees get the fertilizer for a while and then I move the bin under the next tree.

2 Likes

if you keep them indoors like i do, i put the tote with holes in it into a bigger tote i lay 2 pieces of 2’’ x 2’’ on the bottom so the air can circulate and the worms don’t set in liquid. doesn’t smell this way either. every few months i pour off the worm juice from the bottom tote into a jar. use a cup of juice to a 2.5 gal watering can and water the plants that need fertilizer. i too use chic. bedding, egg cartons, shells, newspaper, and toilet paper rolls shredded up in there .helps absorb any liquids that also helps the worms to process it better.

do you crush the shells in a blender to feed the worms? is that needed?

I don’t. I find all the baby worms and eggs stuffed in them. So they seem to be nesting in them.

2 Likes

i only crush mine by hand in a gal. ziplock bag. they still munch on it and also keeps the bin from becoming too acidic.

do your self a favor start with a retail kit. the one I ought was $75 when I got it and briefly $70

while I never got around to the DIY version I am convinced after having my worm kit for a year my idea would be the easiest way to recreate a kit. Cheply but not the cheapest way possible.

I’ve been using my totes for 5 yrs now with no problems.i harvest the castings in spring and late fall. besides that i just keep adding more paper/ cardboard as well as veggie/ fruit scraps. i probably have over 1000 worms between 2 totes. started with 200. if i run low on scraps i feed chicken starter to them. they love it and grow like crazy.

2 Likes

I’m trying to breed a late flushing land race of pokeweed. Been selecting it for a few years now and they are turning color much later and bigger…but that’s another discussion! D

2 Likes

Really good information folks. Thank you. Does it really matter what type of worm goes into the bin? My potted plants have lots of our regular earthworms living with them. Are other types more effecient? I’ve heard that the ones normally used can’t take a lot of heat. D

The worms do matter. I am growing red wigglers cause there easy. European night crawlers are larger and good for fishing, African night crawlers are voracious but require tropical temperatures. And Alabama Jumpers are great for breaking up soil.

1 Like

i have a mix of wigglers and Euros. wigglers stay on the surface. the euros go down about 6in. when not feeding.