Vermont beauty

Vermont beauty is a pear i’ve heard negatives and positives about for years but like so many other pears the key is we have only heard about most of them. Imagine if we only judged red delicious apples by a bag of apples we bought, red delicious are delicious when grown in Kansas.

According to ars grin https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1436213
"Not to be confused with ‘Vermont’ which is a different variety. Some authors have believed that Vermont Beauty is identical with Forelle. As the variety has performed at the Southern Oregon Branch Experiment station, however, it is an obviously distinct varitey. Full description and color plate in Hedrick (1921). Supposed to have originated as a chance seedling in the nursery of Benjamin Macomber, Grand Isle, Vermont, about 1885. Added to the APS catalog list in 1889. Fruit small to medium in size, ovate-acute-pyriform. Skin usually smooth, fairly free of blemish, greenish-yellow in color, usually heavily blushed with bright crimson, very attractive. Flesh granular at the center, but fine grained at the outer periphery, moderately juicy, firm but becoming somewhat buttery when fully ripe. Quite sweet, though inclined to be bitter in taste, lacking in flavor and texture characteristics. A little later than Seckel in season. Soon loses ability to ripen if held in cold storage. Tree moderately vigorous, sturdy, upright-spreading, not very productive, fairly susceptible to fire blight. – H. Hartman, Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station, 1957.

Hedrick once said, ‘of all the pears, those of this variety best satisfy the eye for bright color.’ A little larger than Seckel and similar in shape, Vermont Beauty produces pale yellow fruits covered with numerous conspicuous dots and having a broad brilliantly blushed cheek with pinkish red dots. Its texture is tender and juicy with a rich flavor, possibly more sprightly than Seckel. It is a dessert fruit which graces the table as well as delights the palate. Vermont Beauty is supposed to have originated in the Macomber Nursery at Grand Isle, vermont in the late 19th century. Ripe a week later than Seckel and soon ready to eat. – Robert Nitschke, Southmeadow Fruit Gardens Catalog, 1976."

beauty

8 Likes

These people in Vermont need to think of more names! I grow Vermont!

Vermont Plum - A large yellow-skinned plum with sweet yellow flesh. Introduced to us by Herb Todd.

3 Likes

I could imagine my vermont pear arriving instead of vermont beauty pear or vermont plum. Id be a little upset.

3 Likes

Ha! The Vermont plum should fruit for me this year for the first time. it’s a graft.
I got mine from Jesse. He took some nice photos of the plum. I’m really excited about it. I love yellow plums.

2 Likes

Here is info that I posted on this variety in the past.

1 Like