Verry Cherry plums

Hey…the brix alone might make them good to grow, even without the cherry flavor. I should have bought a bag (we have them here).

Here is the thing. I finished the bag I have to say this is a pretty complex piece of fruit from a flavor standpoint. Granted I’ve not tried nearly as many fruit as most of you but these little thing also have pretty high acidity on top of the sweetness. You get that acidic zing at first bite but the sweetness from the flesh really stands out. This might be blasphemous to say but I think they’d be more enjoyable even at a lower brix. I ate a peach today that I really loved and the brix was 14! It had a great balance between acid and sweet. These verry cherry plums are really sweet for my taste buds.

1 Like

Bought a bag…ate about 10. They are good…very sweet…remind me of a pluot… No cherry that i detect. Too bad the seed is so stuck to the flesh… Some are as big as a small plum.

1 Like

I got to try them this weekend while on a road trip to visit with family. I enjoyed them very, very much. Like most of the other posters, I thought they were mostly or completely plum in nature, but they were rather crisp and very sweet. Both my wife and I really enjoyed the flavor.

I don’t know if these or similar are available from commercial nurseries, but I’d sure like to know. At this point in time, I’m in zone 5A and I’m sure that I could never grow them, but I may be making a move to zone 6 in the next 5 or 10 years and if possible, I’d love to have them in my orchard. I’m also curious if these need to be grafted onto rootstock of if you’ll get a tree that’s true by planting the seed.

I think you’d be surprised how hardy some of the plums/cherries are. I’ve had sweet cherries take -22F and flower… Japanese plums seem about that hardy. Every season is different and i think having a nice long cold stretch is better then being 50F one day and 0F the next… We usually don’t get out of the 40Fs until late Feb or even March…so when it gets cold…it stays cold.

I’m going to plant a row of the seeds and see what happens. If they come up great, if not…oh well.

Yeah, I think many of these are listed as zone 6 on the Dave Wilson website but some of the Japanese plum/cherry interspecifics are actually rated to zone 4. I have a sweet cherry (self-pollinating Gold if I’m not mistaken) in my orchard and it set flowers this spring, but no fruit yet. I also do have a few Japanese plums and hybrids that I’ve gotten fruit from, so I know it’s possible with some of the stone fruit, I’m just not sure that it would be for Pixie Sweet or Verry Cherry Plum or whatever you call it.

Good luck with your seeds. I hope they sprout and give you some good fruit. Although I have read that they are pretty much sterile seeds.

I would agree, as a rootstock must be genetically stable to be very useful.The growers need them cheap too, the price of trees is already getting too high. Most if not all want seed product. Lovell is sold by seed. Not that all have to be, but it’s hard to resist the low price, and Lovell is most definitely a proven winner.

I bought five pounds today.

5 Likes

Hi! And have you tasted them?

1 Like

Yes. And they are way better than Nadia cherryplum.

3 Likes

I already ate a pound.

4 Likes

You get them at Sam’s? I checked Wednesday and they didn’t have anything good.

1 Like

Yes.

I made Malibu Shrimp Tacos with Verry Cherry Plum Salsa.

Uploading…

18 Likes

Any cherry taste?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Looks delish.

2 Likes

Just beautiful Ulises​:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: bet it all tastes really good!

2 Likes

It was delicious!

3 Likes