Very Deformed Pears

Those are frost damaged pears. Very lucky you got a crop! If the russet was from copper it would not be rings only. Picture 2 could be copper. Picture 5 is clearly cold weather. In Kansas our crop frequently looks like that.

1 Like

Thanks Clark. I didnā€™t loose any pears, but I did loose almost all my stone fruits with a few exceptions, so I guess it was frost.

1 Like

Yes the copper likely retarded the ice forming bacteria and saved your crop. I see those rings as victory scars! Copper can russet fruit but was not the culprit this time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I have seen similar damage on my early blooming pears. Does the russet from copper affect the pear taste/quality or is it cosmetic?

1 Like

I have similar frost damage on my early blooming pears this year (especially in a bottom area), with no copper involved. Happy to have fruit considering the alternatives.

1 Like

Neither copper or frost damage impacts the flavor of the fruit in my opinion. There are situations where the beat up fruit does taste better so i would not ever rule that out

3 Likes

Thanks

@patrick in 2017 you were one of the first to have such severe damage. Its very common now showing up just about everywhere and its became much easier to diagnose bmsb damage versus stony pit virus versus rust versis boron. See this link for cross reference Is this a result of rust on pears?. Boron issues should also be considered Boron deficiency / Blossom Blast?

1 Like

My posting picture at the top of this thread looks like thisā€¦what is going on?
bad image

1 Like

I am not sure why, yet the forum is saying that two photos are broken, itā€™s almost like the forum can not find or can not load the photos.

1 Like

pear 1 pear 2

1 Like

@scottfsmith may want to take a look and see what he can find out about the pictures. Rarely pictures can do that but its far from common.

Now Iā€™m seeing this on all 3 of my trees and the trees look super healthy. Looks somewhat like above, these are asian pears housi and 20th century. One tree has around 70% and the others are more like 30%. Is it the virus?

That looks like pear rust to me.

1 Like