Very first apple harvest

I harvested my only 2 Williams Pride apples and they are the very first apples ever. Although I am very pleased with the outcome I would like to know what these spots are so I may have a plan of attack for next year.

12 Likes

Congratulations! It’s a nice feeling.

Did you have any hail this season? My apples looked a lot like that after a hailstorm.

1 Like

Nice! Congrats, i’m going to have my first apple harvest this year as well in Sept/Oct whenever my gala is ripe (& my 1 chestnut crab). So exciting!

2 Likes

The only problem with that is it is all the way around the apples, top and bottom.
To answer your question though, yes but it was about a week ago with very small hail.

1 Like

Someone with more experience hopefully will chime in whether it is stinkbug (maybe brown marmorated stink bug) or bitter pit.

The PRI release description would indicate that WP is prone to bitter pit. William's Pride

2 Likes

I see some small hail marks. The other spots are likely from a calcium deficiency in the fruit. It’s called bitter pit. Commercial growers spray the fruit with I think calcium chloride. That has to be done right since it can be toxic.

2 Likes

Congratulations indeed, it is a neat feeling to watch grow and enjoy your own tree fruit. As an early bright red apple, Williams Pride really stands out in my orchard this time of year. I am a fan of the PRI bread apples. Pristine is another great early apple, Goldrush speaks for itself, Pixie Crunch is great tasting and Sundance is one of my favorites for its great all around qualities.

3 Likes

Did you squeeze them a lot seeing if they were ripe! LOL Just Kidding.

3 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

I congratulate you on your harvest and you should be proud of it. I’m also amused that you are already trying to figure out how to make it better next year. Trust me when I tell you that there are lots of us growing fruit much longer than you who would be very proud to have apples as nice as those! I completely understand the drive to learn and improve, but don’t forget to relish in the success you’ve had…those are NICE looking apples!

2 Likes

Congrats. WP was my very first home grown apple, too. Enjoy!!!

1 Like

very nice. So how did they taste?

1 Like

My WP look exactly like the picture every year, even after 5 years. I like the flavor of the apple, but can’t sell it because of the defects. Not sure if its BP or SB, but its the only apple I grow that always has the same problem.

2 Likes

Canwp be eaten right off the tree or do they need to sit in fridge awhile?

1 Like

I eat mine right off the tree.

This year mine has been lousy. Too much rain. It is quite bland so far.

1 Like

No need to pick them all at once. They hang for several weeks. I’ve eaten ones that dropped. They dropped 2-3 apples a day. The seeds are dark so they are ripe but for this year, the taste of my WP has been subpar.

3 Likes

My WP also have the same blemishes described by the OP but didn’t seem to affect flavor. This was my second year of harvest (3rd leaf) and probably around 20 apples that did not rot, drop early etc. The flavor was much better than last year. I’d rate a few of them as really good. Some watercore but not too bad. Hopefully I’ll have it dialed in better next year if I get good fruit set. Lost a couple of branches to fireblight.

3 Likes

I ate one last night and the flavor was very sweet.
The flesh was very soft but not mealy. I hope all my apples taste this good but if it is always going to be soft I could see getting rid of this one.

1 Like

Wow, those are beautiful, spots or not!

2 Likes

It’s been awhile but my second williams pride apple was very good and was totally different texture than the first. Was very pleased with this variety.

Today I picked my Blondee apples because i noticed some splitting, is this variety susceptible to splitting? This variety is certainly a keeper.

2 Likes