Voles - Mice

Other than the zip code they inhabit, what is the difference between the two?

Mike

3 Likes

I’ve had voles eat the bark off my young trees. I’m not sure mice would do that.

2 Likes

Voles have very short tails, mice have long ones

Voles are larger, rounder, slower than mice. Voles tunnel and dig and feed on roots, other vegetation. Mice prefer seeds, build nests.

4 Likes

Most people hate them the same!

2 Likes

Mice get into houses, poop all over the place, chew and gnaw

Voles stay in the garden, dig and devour

Both breed furiously, both are caught by cats

1 Like

My voles commit volecide by falling
Into a small pond that I have. They are very fat…probably pregnant.

1 Like

I’m glad that my old cat has come out of retirement. 2 voles in 3 days so far

3 Likes

voles do a lot of damage in the winter under our deep snow. they tunnel at the grass level under the snow and eat bark and roots of trees. some years they’re really bad. i had 5 nanking cherries that just started producing and the voles grilled every one from ground level to 12in. up! put out 10 pieces of pvc pipe with poison bait out the next summer around the property and really knocked them down but they’ll be back!

1 Like

Thanx for all the responses.

How does full sized mouse compare to a full sized vole.

Mike

1 Like

Mice vary in size- house mice are smaller than white-footed - but tend to be a bit smaller than voles

1 Like

our voles are about 4in. long and 3in. wide. pudgy things! not much mice up here. red squirrels take their place as nuisance animals!

1 Like

Voles and shrews look similar, shrews eat bugs though and have a long snout. Had a shrew stealing cat food, they are brave little things!

1 Like

Is there a way to kill voles without endangering owls and such?

1 Like

Rat traps with peanut butter.

1 Like

Organic rat poison (aka vitamin D3) works. I buy Agrid3 (http://amzn.to/2u9zhbS) and bait boxes (http://amzn.to/2u9kaPH) and it seems pretty effective. Supposed to be relatively safe for predators.

3 Likes

I saw these “traps” on sale (that should tell you something) at the store. They’re basically a plastic ‘T’ shape, you’re supposed to dig them in and lineup the end of it with their tunnel and they fall into it and get trapped. I’m pretty skeptical it would work, and it means having to dig up your garden even more than they’ve already done.

1 Like

mine are definitely voles. short stubby noses. i like shrews as they eat the junebug larve eating my lawn.

1 Like

thats why i only put out the poison just before snowfall in dec… they eat the poison over winter under the snow and decompose before the snow melts not endangering anything. I’ve found their skeletons on the lawn in spring.

3 Likes

i like this idea. thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Voles follow trails, find their trails and set a trap. These plastic traps are great, easy to set, light trigger and you dont ever need to touch animal, if that bothers you. I put a piece of wood over the trap to encourage them to run through/over the trigger. Works great!

WHAM!

BAM!

2 Likes