Volunteer Fig!?

Maybe I’ll expose the top? I think I will. it’s the main root, like 99% of all roots. I don’t know if the top will survive either with only 1% and 4 leaves. The root looks like a carrot, and I think some green is on the top. So it may sprout. We will see. This thing sure looks like a seedling. I never seen one this small.My other thought was it’s not a fig? Time will tell.

1 Like

So OK, it didn’t wilt even though most of it’s roots are gone. A skinny little thing it is!

far the top looks

3 Likes

Seedlings have several internodes per inch near their bases because they start out with such a small amount of energy. Tons of suckers… Without seeing something like this you can rule out it being a seedling.

1 Like

No suckering but plenty of nodes. Hard to tell from photo that my plant is 4 inches tall. Macro photo is full scale.

2 Likes

I was thinking about this as I really don’t remember putting cuttings in my raised bed, but you know I was eating dried Turkish figs and maybe tossed the stems in the bed. Do they have the wasp in Turkey? I could have had a seed in the flesh still attached to the stem. Next time I get some, I’m going to harvest some seeds from one.

Over here! Over here! :laughing:I can help you with that too many fig problem! I am in Arizona and new to this forum. So any you can’t make a go of in the cold sent to me! I also am interested in hard to find varieties but for me it’s all about the flavor! I love the colors but flavor takes the spot for me! Ok so no idea how to tell how old these posts are. On my phone it just says the month not the year?

1 Like

LOL! I discovered figbids…

I should update this being 2 years later. Well the corn fig has grown a lot but only has a few figs this year, first time! See if they are common or not? Still a young plant too. A very slow grower.

It sure has a long stem on the figs.

7 Likes

Thanks for posting an update. :grin:

2 Likes

I see that this is a very old thread, but I’m new to the forum, and am thrilled to see fig lovers here. I grew up with figs in Louisiana as a child, and might have OD’d on them but didn’t. I am truly a fig fanatic and would indulge in many varieties if I only had the space. I purchased a fig 8 years ago to plant in my new Charlotte, NC yard. The fig was grossly mislabeled as a ‘brown turkey’, though it eventually turned out to be an LSU 'strawberry". (I know, you can’t find any reference to this variety, but I have a pic of it in the LSU evaluation garden, labeled this way.) This was serendipity, because this turned out to be a fabulous fig- a generous producer of large white figs with a delicious red berry pulp. I also have 2 dwarf VdBs planted in the yard which are mature enough to be giving me a nice crop now in year 4. In addition, I found a great mature fig tree on fallingfruit.org (a wonderful foraging website if you haven’t found it already.) I’m in fig preserve heaven! Now, if I would only get some volunteer fig trees!

3 Likes

I would like to see that photo. Are you growing Smith? That is a good one for your area. I have an extra plant. They go for over one hundred bucks but would trade for a few cuttings of that LSU fig! So many awesome figs out there. The volunteer has one fig this year. Still holding on to it. I have many fig trees I love growing them. Fun plants!

2 Likes

Hi, Drew!
I do NOT have a Smith yet, and would love to trade. As a new user I can only send a single picture of the LSU ‘Strawberry’ in this post. I have two additional relevant pics I’ll send separately. Take a look and if you like what you see, we can make arrangements for a trade. Thanks for the follow up!:smiley:

As seen in the LSU evaluation garden:
Strawberry%20Fig%20photo%20D%20Johnson%20LSU%20rotated

SVillar

2 Likes

Reply 2 of 3 re. LSU Strawberry:

Tree in my yard after 8 years in the ground:

Explanation of the tree & it’s site: On my tiny lot I planted the tree in the 12’ space between 2 house and have to (try) to contain the tree within my 6’ property line. Consequently, I prune down and back to 6’ x 6’ during the dormant period. This is a full -size tree by nature so it wants to be tall. AND it’s compensating for being in an area with barely 5 hours of sun a day so it gets leggier than it probably normally would- generally shooting up 6-8’ every summer. You’ll notice I’ve got a ladder permanently installed INSIDE the tree since that’s the only way I can harvest a lot of the fruit!

SV

2 Likes

Reply 3 of 3 re LSU Strawberry

Fruit and leaves:

I have not experienced any pest or disease problems so far and I love this tree. I don’t know why it wasn’t commercially released. Thanks for considering!

SVillar

5 Likes

I remember hearing about it. My opinion, it is Green Ischia/Verte, commonly called Strawberry in the south, not an LSU bred fig. There was a commercial Green Ischia orchard in Crisfield MD back in the 60s. I’ve got 10 Adriatic JHs planted in the orchard here, they are very good but tend to split in rainy weather during the summer, they can ripen until Thanksgiving under row cover.

3 Likes

Thanks! You could well be right, given the many alias’ for figs. And I do experience splitting in wet weather, which isn’t a problem for me since I harvest every day once they begin to ripen. :wink:
SV

2 Likes

A trade sounds great I will pm you Tuesday when I’m back in town. I have my favorite green figs but always willing to try more.

Great, chat then.

1 Like

I’m not coming home till Thursday now. Contact.you then.

I bought some wild Turkish figs a few months ago.
One of the seeds really took off.
It’s about 5 inches tall now.

5 Likes