Walking Onion

Is there only one variety of waking onion? Everywhere I look they offer Egyptian Walking Onion.

5 Likes

There is the Catawissa Walking Onion, which originated in the town adjacent to mine: https://www.rareseeds.com/catawissa-walking-onion-10-bulbils

3 Likes

Thanks

I havenā€™t ever grown walking onions and if Iā€™m correct I will be ordering bulbs. If I order now will they survive until Iā€™m ready to plant them around March 1st?

@Auburn

Just put them outside in the dirt they will be ok. They overwinter every year. Take a look at this thread maybe @DennisD has a few extra laying around Lost varities that someone may still grow . I dont have extra bulbs right now because we ate them. Have a love for the small bulbs that grow on top that are the part that grows new plants.

4 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

Etsy has several seller of walking onions and they are priced so low I donā€™t see how they can turn a profit. They also have potato onions which I might order a few.

2 Likes

I grew generic ā€œwalking onionsā€ for years, but last year acquired two named clones (I suspect one of which is identical to what I was already growing). I have observed slight differences in color so far, but need more time to determine if the overall differences give reason to grow more than one strain (or chose one over the other).

I donā€™t use them for bulbs cause itā€™s really hard to get sizeable bulbs here even on giant onion varieties. Walking onions are excellent as green onions though so that is how I use them.

7 Likes

I will probably eat the bulbs only when I run out of the big types. I like the idea of chopping the smaller ones and use as green onions. Do you ever freeze them for later use?

1 Like

I donā€™t freeze them cause as green onions I can harvest them fresh probably at least ten months out of the year.

4 Likes

@Auburn

Bill,

Think about using the bulbs for cocktail onions or shish kabobs. The greens are great for all the normal uses.

3 Likes

These things are heartier than cockroaches, I never water mine. My dog dug up one flung it across the yard, it rerooted itself they dug it up againā€¦ I think it happened about 4 times before I gave that clump away.

6 Likes

they are very cold hardy. they survive unmulched in my z4 and spread readily. ive given away hundreds of bulbils to friends and family. they grow with 0 care or fertilizer. my patch is growing under my elderberry.

3 Likes

i think they could be invasive if planted out in the woods and let be.

2 Likes

Your experience contrasts with mine. My walking onion bed has been slowly been taken over by grass and weeds. My bed is in full sun, so maybe that is the difference. Also, I do not cultivate/weed the bed too often since I do not want to disrupt the root system of the onions.

3 Likes

If Martha likes them they must be good. The mushroom/onion looks delicious to me.

2 Likes

i also have the red welsh bunching onion in there as well. it has a stronger taste than the walking onion.

2 Likes

Has anyone in the forum read up on the Green Mountain potato onion / walking onion / Egyptian onion / multiplier onion ? Years ago I ran across this most educational story of one man in Utah who had been growing them and then tried growing out the bulbils that they occasionally produced, and what he discovered and chronicled about his experience.

4 Likes

I put some of those in myself this year. How fast do they multiply? Is the green part stronger as well?

1 Like

I have this one. Dunno where it is from or its name. But I like pickled bulbils. Iā€™ve inherited it with the garden from my grandparents.

ŠøŠ·Š¾Š±Ń€Š°Š¶ŠµŠ½ŠøŠµ
ŠøŠ·Š¾Š±Ń€Š°Š¶ŠµŠ½ŠøŠµ

6 Likes