Walking Onion

Thanks. Good read

2 Likes

im going to make a bed of them from the bulbils in late summer. i have so many i might as well put them to good use. ive just been letting the clumps fall and root where they may. i can freeze a bunch of them chopped up in the green stage to use in recipes. old timers used to salt them in mason jars but too much salt to remove for me.

2 Likes

I will probably do the same. Walking onions are new to me so I don’t know yet what my plans for them will be.

3 Likes

when left in clumps they grow but dont grow very big. i think separating them they will do much better. ive read that if you want big onions of any kind , just harvest some of the stalks off, it so im going to do that with these and see what happens.

2 Likes

I plan on just leaving them in the ground and using the greens and topsets. They say the topsets taste just like the bulb. They are new to me as well.

3 Likes

we have a small patch and so far we ate greens, some bulbs from the tops roasted, and one big guy I pulled up to find out. tastes like a dull white onion, not very big base but still edible and good if you need em

2 Likes

Everyone was right about Walking onions. You can mostly plant and forget. They all look healthy and a few already have bubils (4)on top. I counted and there are 10 more heading to the top. I’m guesstimating that each set will have 5-10 bulbs to increase my number of plants. Next year I should have enough to sample.

4 Likes

Do you have a pic of white walking onions? :grinning:
I have the red Catawissa walking onion if you’d like to trade.

3 Likes