Warren Pear

Looks about right. We are behind you on zone 6 and it’s getting close here.

2 Likes

This is the first year I’ve had a good crop of warren pears. Unfortunately they all ripen on the counter to a mealy texture. They were rock hard when I picked them and most came off with a lift. I held in the fridge for a couple of weeks then put on the counter until they soften slightly. I’ve tried them at various stages of ripeness. They go from crunchy to mealy. They are real sweet but the texture is awful. Anyone else experience this with warren?

2 Likes

Looks like I’m eating Warren this year.

8 Likes

@Susu

Those look like warren congratulations they look great!

2 Likes

Will you thin that bundle or leave three to ripen?

2 Likes

I was going to leave them be. I have a feeling something/someone will thin them for me.

4 Likes

Warren flowering 3 years after graft on a large rootstock.

9 Likes

I may be missing something here, so tell me if I’m off base. We pick our pears, like you, when they give a little with a light finger press and when they will come off easily when lifted to horizontal. We ripen our pears in a paper bag with a banana. We just keep checking on them every day. We have had very few problems with texture like this. Mostly it’s just the winter pears that are supposed to keep 6 months.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

This pear tree is one of my first planted fruit trees in my new home. I lost the tag so don’t know what’s its variety. From the description, I guess it’s warren pear. The flesh is buttery, very sweet and tasty when fully ripen. It’s my favorite pear. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

I’ve grown Warren and Magness side by side for about 15 years. I have them together on one tree, as well as Magness grafted onto a nearby tree. Most years they bloom and ripen around the same time. Some years the Magness blooms and ripens later. However, I don’t remember the Warren ever blooming or ripening after Magness. I can’t tell the difference between the fruit taste but Magness usually has the largest. I’ve had FB on both of them but it was easily pruned out.

2 Likes