'Washington' Navel Oranges

For heavy work I like 50-60F with clouds and no wind. Doesn’t happen often here.

1 Like

As it turns out that was our weather today!! Actually 78 deg 42% humidity, full sun though. Beach weather, but I was in full retreat at 2PM. Like @fruitnut said, if it were cloudy it would be more tolerable for working, and we even had some wind. Still, that sun not too suitable for this transplanted Yankee :blush:[quote=“Richard, post:40, topic:2396”]
than 40F weather with rain
[/quote]

W-h-i-m-p

:blush: jk Richard.
Seriously, I do rain just fine - have the gear. It’s not bad at all.

1 Like

Mick, I went to Australia a few months ago ( mostly stayed in Vic but got as far north as tamworth). Fabulous people, fabulous country! And I love that most of you Aussies have no concept of freeze protection!
I hope to go back sometime in the spring ( your spring!)
Cheers mate!

That’s a magical time Kate as it must be in most places. Similar but different . I would love to see some parts of the US in the spring…perhaps not in the deep cold though. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Mick

Hi there experienced orange growers. :wave:

I was hoping to pick your brains regarding growing a Washington Navel orange tree in a container.

I purchased a small 2+ foot tall Washington navel orange tree about 6 months ago. It had a small navel orange on it last year, which I cut off thinking it better to wait until the tree was larger before cropping.

I have kept the tree indoors all winter in a 60° room in a south facing window location. The tree seemed quite happy there, and has been in bloom for a while now. I’m considering taking it outside this week, as the weather is supposed to be in the mid-sixties and sunny. I’m in the warmest area of Canada rated at zone 9b. We should already be past any chance of frost until at least late October or November. Does this sound like a good idea, or is it still a bit early to consider moving it outdoors?

Another question would be, when is the best time of year to transplant the tree into a larger growing container? I’m not concerned about a crop on the tree this year as the tree is still too small to expect it to start producing fruit IMO.

Also, do I really need a special blend of citrus tree soil for potting it in as I’ve seen suggested on the forum before. I can’t say I’ve ever seen this type of potting soil sold locally. Does anyone have any recommendations for blending your own potting soil for citrus trees at home?

How large a container will I ultimately be looking at for this navel orange tree that will likely require overwintering indoors? This orange tree will likely remain potted its entire life, unless global warming turns my part of Canada into the sub-tropics. :rofl:

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I’ve never attempted to grow any variety of citrus before.

1 Like

Citrus don’t mind chilly weather. If you are past freezes then outside should be OK. In a pot they need a mix that drains well. The water needs to drain right thru when watered. I find that 20-25 gallon is about as big as I want to move around. I’ve got a banana in a 30 gallon and I’m not sure how I’ll ever move it. It’s now on the cool end of my greenhouse and needs to go to the warm end by next winter. Two real men would need to be in shape to move it by hand.

1 Like

Unfortunately, not all zone 9B’s are created equal. I’m familiar with that part of BC and although you don’t get a lot of freezing temps, you also don’t have a lot of heat. I’m in 9B California where we are 90°+ for months on end, and my tree is 15 ft tall and covered with 100’s of the sweetest oranges you’ll find. These trees need tons of heat to produce sweet oranges. That’s what produces the sugars. This is the same reason you rarely, if ever, see a Washington Navel tree in San Francisco, even though they are a 10A/B climate. But, Lemons thrive. They just don’t need a lot of heat. I highly suggest you try a Lemon tree.
So I fear your tree may survive fine, but you’ll be hard pressed to get a proper crop.

1 Like

Thank you for your response @Calron, and you’re assessment of the likelihood of getting a good crop here is likely true. However, the temperatures here are definitely trending upwards. We are currently breaking March temperature records here even though that is only like 70ish in southern BC. The summers here have seen almost zero measurable precipitation for the last couple of years. A couple of years ago a heat dome settled over the region for several weeks and we saw temps higher in BC than ever registered in Phoenix or Miami, (I believe). During that heat wave we topped out in some places in southern BC at 114° F.

I’m not claiming that is normal by any means, but the summers are definitely becoming far dryer and warmer here compared to when I was far younger. Lots of people are zone pushing now with what they are growing. They are gambling on the possibility that their zone rating may be going higher in the future.

I’m not planting an an entire orchard of oranges, so really there’s not much risk involved with a single tree. I only bought the tree because when the little woman saw the trees growing oranges planted outdoors at Bob Duncan’s nursery in Sidney she had to have it. I know growing oranges in BC is not easy. I just figured, why not give it a try. I mean nothing wagered nothing gained.

I also bought four Feijoa trees and a loquat while I was at the nursery in Sidney, and even though they’re subtropical species lots of people in the PNW are successfully growing those. I think they are really nice looking trees with beautiful blossoms and even if they only fruit occasionally I’ll be more than happy. :smiley:

3 Likes

I wish you luck. I think it would be super cool to get fresh sweet oranges at you latitude.

2 Likes