Watermelon Apples

Have any of you seen these? They were bred by Lubera in Switzerland. Extremely cool look. Lubera is a fairly large apple breeding operation and they have very good apple breeding videos on youtube. I’ve watched them all and after coming across this article I done a little research. Was surprised to learn it was one of their releases.

http://newslite.tv/2010/07/21/odd-apples-with-watermelon-cor.html

I’m wondering if ARS will get wood from this apple? It’s not been syndicated, but no doubt patent protected.

This photo is a hoax (I think anyway lol)

, but interesting.

Great a wapple with a thousand seeds. Fortunately that’s 100% hoax.

1 Like

LOL, my friend Marcus at Lubera has been breeding red-fleshed apples for years. He’s not shy either, and has hundreds of videos at his channel gardenvideo.com He’s funny both in English and German, and a prolific breeder of excellent fruit. Hope they make it to the USA sometime.

yeah…the gardenvideo thing was what I think I watched on YT…great 10 part series on apple breeding…loved it and I learned a lot. I think if I had it to do all over again, apple breeding would be something I’d shoot for as a career.

I loved Luberas location…the beautiful Swiss Alps are like right out their back door ( I guess it’s the Swiss Alps…I dunno). Breathtaking view either way. I envy those guys.