Watermelons, Blueberries, and sweet cherries are in season!

Watermelons $1.88 each , blueberries $1 pint, sweet cherries $1.49 per pound! I love this season!

4 Likes

Wow, great price, our U-pick cherry is $2.99.

1 Like

Except HyVee was sold out of cherries by the time I made to the store!:cry:

1 Like

Our local Costco has watermelons for $3.99 each. We bought two today!.

1 Like

Lots of places have the cherries on sale now it’s a bumper crop! You might check another store and who knows could be a better deal. The blueberries I’m getting are coming out of Georgia. Just got peaches from Georgia a week ago and they were very inexpensive. They were better than the peaches I raised!

Here in California, cherries are also $1.49 a pound.

1 Like

California has some excellent fruit! That would be an amazing place to grow fruits and vegetables. A farmers market could have about anything there I’m told. Here are a couple of the clamshells I got. I’m still on the lookout for lychee.

If anyone wants to know how we get some of our fruit in Kansas this is the process http://www.ccproduce.net/?page=resources . So basically it comes from Sunkist , Dole, or Sage etc. depending on the type of produce and then goes to C&C produce which is a re-packer. In the case of the blueberries they came from this farm in Georgia http://www.mixonfarms.com/about-us-1.html and this is a slideshow of part of the process The Farm. This is how a blueberry harvester actually works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jozAgVFg00Q. This is how they sort the leaves and green berries etc. out of the blueberries https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D-bO2WqNmo

1 Like

I also bought 2 pounds of figs today.

1 Like

1 Like

Wow they don’t sell fresh figs here! Nice sized Watermelon!

1 Like

Again I bought 12 pints of blueberries for $1 per pint. I’m making sure I will be tired of them when the season is over. Tomatoes are coming into season as well I got a box yesterday for $3 which is around 5-6 pounds and they added in a pound or two of peaches! Watermelon , blueberry, and cherry season is still going strong. Someone is growing a lot of fruit this year!

1 Like

Blueberry supply is running out and have increased to $2 per pint whereas cherries are still in season at $1.49 per pound. The new batch is coming out of Washington

1 Like

These are not prices I ever find in grocery stores or roadside stands around here. Cherries are on sale for 2.49/lb this week. The best prices I’ve ever seen on mangoes has been 2/$1. Tomatoes go for at least $1/lb.

The best blueberry deals here are a PYO place that sells for $1.50/lb. Before this year it was $1/lb. There is also one peach orchard a little over 2hrs. away that is open for PYO one week a year when you can pick for $20/bu. All others are around $45/bu. None of them are nearby.

I will say that I can usually get a good deal on a watermelon if I feel like going to the State Farmers’ Market or flea market on a Sunday afternoon and putting up with the parking and crowds. There’s almost always someone who will sell for $1 each in order to get rid of them before the weekend is over. It’s just not worth the time and hassle for me to do that for just a melon or two anymore.

1 Like

Muddy,
I don’t know your exact location but here is a retail store finder to help you https://storelocator.aldi.us/Presentation/AldiSued/en-us/Start. I plugged in 7610 Garners Ferry Road S, Columbia, SC 29209-3810. Here is a Columbia add for example http://weeklyads.aldi.us/Aldi/BrowseByPage/Index/?StoreID=2624432&PromotionCode=Aldi-160713INSc&PromotionViewMode=1 for example pineapple $1.19, mangoes 2/$1 , a few peppers for $1.29. Likely the produce is similarly priced but there could be some fluctuation. Maybe it will help other people find cheaper produce as well so thanks for bringing it up because I did not think to post the retail store chain where I purchased the produce. Unfortunately the cheap tomatoes and much of that is local stands. Sure am loving mango season this year to! I bought 8 to ripen over the next couple of weeks. We are close to main trucking hubs so we should be getting practically the same prices on many things as the location that grows them. If Kansas city was not close by the prices could be double what we are paying.

1 Like

Thank you. That was very thoughtful of you, Clark. I did go to Aldi this week. That one is a long way away, but there is one about 3 miles away from me. I bought a very green pineapple, 4 packs of the multi-colored bell peppers, which looked very good, and a couple of mangoes that I’ll probably regret buying. :smile: They were very under-ripe and I couldn’t tell whether the sticker marked them as Kent or Tommy (Atkins). I’m guessing they’ll be the not-so-good Tommy Atkins. Kroger did have some Ataulfos at 2/$1, which looked good. So, I got those, too.

Aldi does have good produce sale prices, but I find that it has to be used quickly because theirs tends to go bad more quickly than what I buy elsewhere.

1 Like

Their produce here is very good but I did notice the packing date was June 30th. We have local markets as well that sell 39 cent bananas and many times much cheaper produce. I could only list Aldis because it’s a national chain. They are not our cheapest store but their prices are consistently low instead of fluctuating. Aldis deals with very large farms and gets deep discounts because of that and passes them on. Walmart gets discounts here but does not pass them on in most cases. I’ve heard that’s not true everywhere. SAMs club is a walmart store I don’t mind going to for produce shopping because we eat primarily fresh foods all the time so we like to buy in bulk. This morning of course I ate a quart of blackberries from the patch.

I’m glad you didn’t direct me to Walmart/Sam’s. :smile: It’s one business I never buy from if there is an alternative. I’m looking forward to a Costco opening here in a few months. That’s a store I’ve missed having available here.

1 Like

Ditto I don’t go there unless I need to. SAMs actually has things I like but they are not nearly as good as Kroger in my opinion for types of produce. I last went to SAMs 2 years ago. Walmart about 4-5 times per year. Kroger and Aldis this week :0)

1 Like

The Aldis here has great melons for much less than the other stores. I’ve been very happy with the muskmelons, in particular. Their oranges and grapefruits are also very good in season. We shop there all the time, even though we can get the senior discount of 10% on Thursdays at the competitor. Aldis is still cheaper, and many of their products are actually better than the name brands. We don’t have Super Walmart or Costco here to compare them.

1 Like

Northwoodswis4,
I really like apple market as well as Aldis and they offer that promotion at a lot of their stores. The strange part is Apples are individually owned so no two ever have the same deals at exactly the same time. Some things they are the same on. The one in my area is excellent.