Weather here near Houston, TX is artic cold!

This is the season of the long goodbye…knocked out by Covid, all i can do is watch my olives, figs citrus and others (10 new peaches nectarines, plums)slowly succumb. All are 10 years old in 26 inch pots and covered in 5 inches of mulch…Greenhouse is of no use when we have no power…whoops we have power for at most 2 hours…no more power today until 630pm…i guess the one good thing is i will have 20+ huge pots of flowers…don’t think i can go this big again…

7 Likes

How do the other fruits do in this? Fig, peaches, plums, pears, etc?

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

That heart just doesn’t convey the feeling like we need.

2 Likes

I would think the peaches and plums would be fine with the mulch. People plant them in hardiness zone 5. Same for pears, apples, sweet and tart cherries. For these species they can survive down to -20F.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same about the peaches, plums, pears, and apples. I’m in zone 6 and we get 10 below zero almost every year at some point and our peaches, plums, pears, apples, cherries and other “zone 6” fruits are fine. I hope that you all who aren’t used to this type weather won’t loose too much. I feel so badly for you all. :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes that’s true, but trees in the deep south are not as cold hardened as trees in lower zones. Besides, most trees are emerging from dormancy this time of year, which make them especially vulnerable to sudden hard freezes.

3 Likes

We only got down to 14 degrees officially, not a bad as Houston or Lufkin. Still, that is enough to kill citrus, but hopefully my peaches and plums will make it. The ones that are still dormant will be fine, but a little concerned with the ones that leafed out. Sun is shining so that will help melt the ice.

1 Like

@lookner

Austin, Texas electric utility: “Customers should be prepared to not have power through Tuesday night and possibly longer.”

@JeffLindner1

Significant ice storm likely over portions of SE TX tonight that may result in widespread damage to power infrastructure and trees north and west of #houston. Ice also possible in portions of Harris, Fort Bend and Liberty counties #houwx #txwx

1 Like

Lol, sorry. Using “only” made me crack up!

I read 100% of the valencia oranges and 60% of the grapefruit were still on the trees. Said something that they might need to juice them.

That sounds right. Our Washington Navels which have a similar ripe window, are just starting to hit perfect ripeness.