Weeping mulberry cuttings

My neighbour has a weeping mulberry tree that produces fruit and I was thinking of taking some sneaky cuttings from it. They usually cut some of the weeping part that is near the ground to make mowing easier, so I would take the cuttings from there as they would be discarded anyway.

Is it possible to take cuttings and root them directly? Or do I have to graft them onto a mulberry rootstock? If I graft them how many cuttings are generally used to make a well shaped weeping tree?

What time of year is it best to take cuttings from a weeping tree? It is the start of winter here right now and everything is dormant.

I have a weeping mulberry that I bought in the fall of 2016 when it was less than a foot tall in a pot. After planting, I tied it to a 7 foot stake and removed all side buds as it grew to the top of the stake. At that point, I let it start branching to form the weeping shape, with branches growing back to the ground. They are fast-growing trees, so I doubt you would save much time by trying to graft to another non-weeping mulberry.

1 Like

All of the weeping mulberries I have seen have been grafted onto non-weeping stock. We don’t see a lot of mulberries here. It is too bad, mulberries are an amazing tree.

I was hoping to grow it up a stake and let it weep when it reached the top, exactly how you have described. I am glad to hear from someone like you who has experience who confirms that it will work!