What Are You going to Order for 2017?

Brandywine is an everbearing purple that apparently doesn’t sucker. I bought one from tractor supply a few weeks back and it’s already growing well. It just gets average reviews from what I’ve read. I just bought it to have a purple. I don’t think it will be as sweet as Anne or many of the other popular varieties. I also bought heritage from tractor supply and it too is growing well. The 4 varieties I bought from Indiana berry have not woken up nearly as fast.

1 Like

http://www.fruit.cornell.edu/berry/production/pdfs/raspcultreview2012.pdf. Her is a link where Brandywine is described . I have had them for years . They are summer bearer . They sucker from the roots like reds . Used at the red and purple stages . I pick them red . They do not turn purple until over ripe .

1 Like

Thanks @speedster1 and @jerry63. I guess an ever bearer bramble can be made a fall bearer by cutting the canes in the spring, and that forces it produce one late summer crop? I’m still learning about the differences between the two.

My two gooseberries from Indiana Berry were kinda puny samples, with not a lot of root, compared with the one we got from Tractor Supply. When I was over at the Morehead TSC, they actually had a Hinnomaki Red GB.

Our four blueberry plants from IB had very nice roots, tho, and are putting on some leafy growth after I pinched off the fruit buds. So, they’re doing well, prob will fertilize them in a couple weeks.

The one I bought from Tractor Supply clearly said everbearing on the box. Guess We’ll see.

Well, while the Mrs and friend were shopping at Burkes, I went across the street to Lowe’s (again), and picked up an Anne’s gold raspberry plant. They have no more strawbs, and just a few blues & blacks. But the Anne has been on my radar for a while, so I couldn’t (or wouldn’t) resist. Help me…

2 Likes

Alright, this is a pic of my final fruit purchases for the year, I promise! If you can’t see the labels, here is the list:

Raspberries: Brandywine, Anne, Fall Gold, Heritage

Strawberries: 20 Honeoye

All the berry plants came from Tractor Supply, except the Anne, which is from Lowe’s.

Question about the rasp everbearers. Since they produce in the late summer/early fall, would they possibly produce a few berries this fall?

1 Like

Sure, sure😀

I grow brandywine they are summer bearing

I’m just stating what is clearly written on the package. You can see it in subdoods picture. If it doesn’t make a fall crop I’ll likely pull it out. I’d prefer to cut the canes down at the end of each growing season.

So, when did you plant all your rasps, and how are doing so far? You said your four rasps from Indiana Berry were slow to wake up? Did you prune the cane down to the ground when you planted to them? On the ones that are growing, are you talking about them sending up new canes, and/or leaves?

I didn’t realize I had all fall bearers until I gathered them all together for this pic. No big deal.

Sorry for all the questions, I just was just wondering what to expect when I put these in the ground, prob this week. Thanks.

I don’t remember the exact date but I think it was close to a month ago, around the end of March that I planted them. I did not cut them back to the ground. They are all sending up new shoots. I looked last night and the only bramble I planted that has not showed signs of life is Triple Crown blackberry. When I planted I mulched the row with pine bark fines and now I realize that might have been a mistake. Although I didn’t mulch right up against the plants I did inadvertently get a little closer than I should’ve. I pulled back some of the mulch back to bare ground and discovered a few shoots that had been sent up by the roots that were under the mulch. I went back and pulled all the mulch back around each plant to give it a good 18" or so of clear ground. I was surprised to see some of the shoots were 4-6" away from the actual plant.

Dood,

Rasps are the easiest things in the world to grow. Just get them in the ground now. Give them as much sun as you can, but they can tolerate a little shade if necessary. A little mulch on top will augment their success, which is inevitable. They take a few years to establish and spread rhizomes underground, but they eventually inherit the Earth. Just don’t fertilize them. They don’t need it. Too much fert will kill a rasp. Most varieties will tolerate just about any soil type.

Years ago, my mother gifted me a golden rasp the identity of which is unknown but I suspect is Fall Gold. This rasp is a superior variety for taste. I hope your Fall Gold turns out to be as good as what I think is mine.

2 Likes

One last tip for raspberry success:

The first-year canes are all about growth.

The second-year canes are where your fruit will come from.

Rasp canes usually die in their third year. They turn grey and lifeless. It is IMPORTANT to pull out and dispose of those dead canes every spring/summer. This can prevent diseases like anthracnose from settling into your raspsberry plants.

Some people have trouble with Spotted Wing Drisophila (pronounced Drih-SOFF-oh-lah) bugging their berries, but I have never seen them here (knock on wood). Rumor is they’re in southeast PA.

Rasps have been my most successful berry by lightyears. They are rewarding and fantastic.

2 Likes

Thanks @Matt_in_Maryland for the info. Yes, I have two gold rasps, Fall Gold, and Anne. From what I’ve read both are very good berries, so I’m excited to see how they do. Heritage is an old standby, but very good still, and the Brandywine is a purple, which looks cool.

So, you’re saying don’t expect any berries this fall from these everbearers?

I really didn’t need to get any more berry plants, but these were cheap, and based on the gooseberry plant I got from this company, the plants seem to have good roots.

I haven’t figured out where to put four raspberry plants, but I think they’ll go down by the old house, the soil’s better down there.

I don’t know what stage your newly-purchased raspberry bundles are in. You might have a tip-root and/or a more substantial clump of roots. You might have a bundle of one-year old canes (new growth that won’t flower and fruit until next year) or two-year old canes (established long canes that will flower and fruit this year) or a combination of both.

The three-year old canes will die, and the root mass and underground runners will eventually send up new first-year canes to clone itself and keep the cycle going.

You will not get fruit this year unless your bundles have long established canes in their second year which would be flowering soon. My two-year rasp canes have just begun to form flower buds here.

Just be patient with rasps. You can plant them anywhere - except deep forested shade - and they are a slam dunk.

3 Likes

Will Anne raspberries produce a summer and a fall crop?

My understanding is that they will since they are everbearing. I just planted mine so I can’t confirm first hand.

That is good because I did not cut them to the ground in the fall hoping they would.

Mine bloom and fruit on and off all summer but have one pronounced crop in the early summer and then in the fall. The fall crop is always largest as are will all of my other raspberries (except) for Jewel. Jewel is over by Sept. while Anne is just ramping up! It is a fabulous tasting berry. Tastes like raspberry and honey!

2 Likes

I’m ordering some G222 rootstock.