What Are You going to Order for 2017?

I will be planting two Sugar Twist Pluerries, a Butte Almond, and a Flavorrella Plumcot.

I ordered three Sugar Twist Pluerries, but I will give one to my best friend. Now I need to get a pollinator for his Sugar Twist pluerry. I’m thinking of Candy Heart Pluerry, Sweet Treat, Pluerry, Branchberry Nadia, or a pluot. Which one should I get?

Maybe graft something of yours onto his. I’ve had good luck doing that in early spring using W&T grafts.

2 Likes

I am ordering a Desoto and Yadkin rabbiteye blueberries this year. Matt, you said you thought the taste of Yadkin was good as well as Ochlockonee. Did you prefer one over the other?

I have a Columbus,Tifblue,Climax,maybe one more and Yadkin,which I like the best. Brady

The pluerry is going to be shipped directly to his home.

I don’t have Yadkin, but wish I did. I’ve heard good things about it.

Ochlockonee is the best one that I have.

Oops, sorry about that, I must have misread a past post. Sounds like both Yadkin and Ochlockonee are two of the better rabbiteyes. I’m hoping Desoto is a good one too, but haven’t seen any opinions on it.

I wanted a peach or two, just to see how they did here in GA and how much care and spraying they’d need. The only rootstock UGA really recommends for this area is Guardian (with Lovell receiving a nod as a distant second).

But, this is a hard rootstock to find, and I didn’t really want to order from Vaughn or Cumberland farm just for one or two trees.

I was very pleasantly surprised when I was browsing Adams Co website to see they had a Julyprince on Guardian (apparently the only tree they have on Guardian) so I was happy to add it to my order. (I already ordered an Ilona apricot from them.)

Rootstocks; i thought i had enough last year but i have managed to locate new varieties to try…

Most everything else by exchange, this site is an incredible resource

2 Likes

Just ordered 78 (5/8) Red Haven on Lovell rootstock from Stark Bros.

An FYI…received a Wholesale 2017 inventory list from Stark yesterday. Was very timely as I had been searching for Red Haven on Lovell. Cummins had them but were about $8 more per tree plus they never got back to me after repeated attempts to contact them over the past couple of months.

Our biggest hit in the garden this year was the red and blue fleshed Adirondack potato’s from Stark Bros. Flavor was unbelievable, will be ordering twice as many this spring so hopefully we can save some for the next years planting.

1 Like

I am loading up the yard this year. Apples: Chestnut Crab, Sweet Sixteen, Kidd’s Orange Red, Hoople’s Antique Gold, Reine de Reinette, Suncrisp, Newtown Pippin, and Goldrush. Pear: Korean Giant. Peaches: Glenglo, Redhaven, Ernie’s Choice, and Contender. Apricots: Early Blush and Tomcot. Tart Cherries: Montmorency and Meteor. Blackberries: Ouachita and Triple Crown. Black Raspberries: Jewel and Mac Black. Gooseberries: Poorman, Black Velvet, Jeannie, and Amish Red. Wish me luck!

7 Likes

Great choices! Where’d you get the Glenglo from?

Adams County Nursery- on Lovell Rootstock

1 Like

Really nice choices indeed.

You (among many others) deserve some credit in helping me refine this list!

1 Like

I have space for ONE tree. So I’m going to order a cherry tree AND a pear tree. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Once you start reading about different fruit varieties you want them all!

3 Likes

I hear that! I ordered more trees than I have space for as well. :wink: Somehow I always find space lol.

I always found space until this year. Now I’m down to my very last available fruit tree space, to be filled with a Shell apple from Century Farms. The rest of the property belongs to my long-suffering wife, who plants lovely California native perennials.

That doesn’t mean that I can’t graft new varieties onto existing mature trees, though! Here’s my grafting list for 2017 (and the 2016 list was even longer):

• Airlie Red Flesh
  • Alaska
  • Ananas Reinette
  • Apricot
  • Claygate Pearmain
  • Cox Orange Pippin
  • Doctor Matthews
  • Etter’s Gold
  • Golden Russet
  • Kentucky Limbertwig
  • Kerry Pippin
  • Mott’s Pink
  • Moyer’s Spice
  • Orleans Reinette
  • Primate
  • Red Royal Limbertwig
  • Saint Edmunds’ Pippin
  • Sinta
  • Suntan
  • Swaar
  • Swiss Limbertwig
  • Viking
  • White Limbertwig
3 Likes

Okay, so trying to keep it down to just a few, and some may replace current poor performers:

• Lady Williams apple (Trees of Antiquity)
  • King David apple (T of A)
  • Black Limbertwig apple (T of A)
  • Hunge apple (Century Farm Orchards)
  • 6GM25 Cherry (Bay Laurel Nursery)
  • Shui mi Tao peach (Arboreum Co.)
  • Cristobalina cherry (Arboreum Co.)

I need a well :frowning:

4 Likes