What are you ordering, 2018

I’m going to add just one pear tree. Then graft a few varieties but that’s it. 3-4 fruit trees plenty for me :grinning:

2 Likes

Kieffer pear, Duchesse d Angouleme pear, King of Pippins apple, Mitchell apple, then try out my grafting techniques on a few apple trees.

2 Likes

I’ll probably get Westcot on Manchurian from Fedco.

1 Like

Im planning to add 2 jujubes. Who ships the nicest looking jujubes?

2 Likes

@BobVance did a great thread on this a while back. Here’s the link

2 Likes

Edible Landscape sent out some fantastic Jujubes this year that many on this site were very happy with including myself. Here is a good topic that speaks to what you are getting after I believe. Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

3 Likes

Apples

Enterprise - G.41
NY 35 (Bonkers) - G.222
Pink Lady (Cripps Pink) - G.41
Redfree (Co-Op 13) - G.41
Initial - G11
Rootstocks - 1-year Bare-root B.118 (6 QTY)

Cherries on Maxma14 Rootstock
Chelan
Black Pearl
sweetheart
Skeena

Peaches
September Snow
GlenGlo
FFury PF 8 Ball

I will get a couple of Paw Paws and Persimmons from Edible Landscape when they get there new stock in for 2018.

3 Likes

I’ve ordered Reine des Mirabelles and Reine Claude d’Oullins E. Plums and Stanwick Nectarine from Arboreum. Will order one or two jujubes. May order a few rootstocks later in the year. The rest will be grafts.

3 Likes

Did we ever get a solid consensus on whether Nadia was worth ordering, or whether there’s definitely a short stem sport of Nadia that technically wouldn’t be under the patent?

1 Like

My impression is that Nadia is OK but nothing special. That’s how I feel and seemed to be what many felt. Any version will be under patent. Discuss that via PM :wink:.

I placed my first order just now. I say first because though I tried to control myself, I’m sure it won’t be the last. I placed an order with Cummins for GoldRush apple, Lavina plum (on the basis of Scott’s stone fruit review), and Bavay’s Green Gage plum. Euro plums are dicey here (Bavay’s has lower-than-typical chill requirements, but I’ve also heard that greengages, mirabelles, etc, don’t develop the same flavors in the heat) but I love their flavor so much. I’m not even really sure where I’m going to put these new trees, but one way or another they’ll find a home.

2 Likes

I get to have 4 new apple trees this spring. I haven’t decided yet. I’m more inclined to popular varieties for some reason.

For example, my orchard has 4 cortland , 4 honeycrisps and 4 zestar. I don’t have the luxury to experiment much.
1 Gala, 1 Pristine, etc.

I’ll probably just get more cortland/honeycrisp unless I can grab one of the new Stark varieties.

Any proven popular ones that I’m missing. old Z5/New Z6. (indiana)

I have to leave the heirloom/exotics to someone with more land.

1 Like

A LARGER yard :persevere:

5 Likes

Do you plan to sell your apples?
My HC could produce 300 apples if moderately thinned. 4 HC trees will be a lot of apples.

You should grow Fuji, another popular variety.

No I don’t sell. I already have 4 HC, 4 more would make 8. I just give them away but I also press them into cider for sweet apple juice and hard cider. It takes a lot of apples.

Sir, if you are interested in apples for cider, may I recommend the following website:

They have listed many varieties of apples that are good in cider, which will allow you to blend and/or make different varieties.

This website sells scion wood, but there are other sites that have trees of these varieties. (Just ask if you cannot find them.)

Of course, if you are already committed to getting something else, I apologize if I am presumptuous.

Perhaps the website will give you some ideas, if nothing else. Good luck to you.

Consider Sansa and Ginger Gold.

1 Like

I just changed my order for GoldRush to a G41 root stock from the M7. I understand the vigor aspect, but I spoke to the guy at Cummins Nursery and he said the G41 should work fine. I don’t have room for the extra apple tree, so I’d rather have a small tree that won’t fit than a large tree that won’t fit. Also have a Toka Plum coming from them.

I have also ordered a William’s Pride on M7 and the Ubileen Pear from One Green World. I am planning on getting the Harrow Sweet from ACN, but haven’t ordered yet.

This should give me a steady supply of apples and pears through the season. I’m psyched!

4 Likes

I have apples in M7, G41 and B 9. Among these three rootstocks, M 7 would be the biggest and B 9 would be the smallest.

My G41 and B 9 are new, planted last year. G 41 is ahead of B 9 in both height and width.

I’ll 2nd Sansa. It was very good this year and widely appreciated. It has very little acid, but still has good flavor. Among both people at work and my kids, it was often a favorite in tastings. I left a few hanging on the tree for quite a while and found that they were still good in late September, after initially ripening in mid August. That’s a nice wide window, while apples like Priscilla are good in late August/early Sept, but mushy if you wait a couple weeks.

If you are making cider, some sweet russets would be good to add. Maybe Golden Russet or Roxbury Russet? And if you want more zing, Ashmead’s Kernel. This year I got a lot of high-brix (17-18), sour Red Boskoops which I bet would make good cider (or good to mix with a mild sweet apple). They are a bit too acid off the tree, but I’ve got them in storage and will test again in a few weeks or a month.

2 Likes