What are your no1 22 expectations

I’m really just looking to do a few things well. Things I can Freeze dry and use on a daily basis. Also just spend better quality time growing and harvesting what works. I’ve kinda been all over the place the last 4 years and have failed a lot but learned a lot. I feel this is the year I use all that experimentation and make it work for me. Just hope to have some good stuff that grows well here. Squash, cucumber, okra, onion, beets, turnips. I have a nice turnip crop growing right now. Also I’m going to do amaranth and sorghum and see if they are good supplements to my chicken feed. I’m really having some great success with blackberry, plum, figs and mulberry so I’ll keep better care and make those better plants this year and am.hoping my 2 year old grapes produce.

2 Likes

With the amount of things i have going in the ground in 22… i expect to be VERY busy. Im taking on way more than i can handle… yet im so excited.

1 Like

Today I began transplanting a number of wild plums including 2 local varieties and one variety from Kevin @thecityman, in a location along one of our nature trails. As spring arrives I plan to germinate several others from seed of different varieties from members in other states. There are possibly many more I can accumulate to plant in areas where local folks can appreciate some of the best natural plums. So far I have seeds of beach plum from Long Island, sand hill from Paul in Kansas and I hope to find others who can share their local varieties that are discovered along the way. So I am very excited about this journey which I will continue as long as I can do so!
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

I did over 100 grafts both the past couple years…so third time should not be a problem. Maybe 88 4 years ago.

I’m truly glad I could contribute in a small way to your project and I really hope you end up with a great selection of wild/native plums. Keep us posted!

ive heard good things about winkler. planted one last spring. all 4 of my arbor day/ badgersett hybrid hazels produced for the 1st time last summer. 1 had really good-sized nuts compared to the other 3 and the branches were so heavy with 3-5 nut clusters, the branches were on the ground… i have some of the biggest saved in the fridge for seed. if you want some to trial give me a yell. i stuck 6 nuts in a nursey bed in oct. if they all come up ill transplant them around the yard.

That recipe looks really good, I have some dried figs. I might have to try it.

I really want to set up an irrigation system for my trees. I’m not sure it’ll happen this year or not. Otherwise, I want to focus on growing what I have well. There’s a few things I want to add, but I need to transplant some grafted fruit trees I did a couple years ago. Also have some plums I want to graft to. I want to do more apples and pears, but no place to put them. My figs produced quite a bit last year. I’m hoping for even more this year.

you cant learn if you don’t make mistakes. Lord knows ive done my share. great minds think alike. i just got a order of amaranth, quinoa and flax seed. would do chia too but our growing season isn’t long enough. my 4 Siberian pea shrubs put out some pods around the chic run. they really enjoyed the seeds. they’re 40% protein. i hope they put out a lot more this summer. anything to supplement chic feed is a good thing! i plant kale and mustard greens around the run, plus i have some unmowed areas under my pines that grows huge dandelions that they get as well…

2 Likes

I’ve learned to not expect much when it comes to growing fruit. One of these years I’m going to have more apples and pears than we can handle. I eagerly await that year

3 Likes

why i rely most on stuff like cane/ bush fruit. the tree fruit will be like winning the lottery. unfortunately, in our climate we have to wait longer for our trees to produce. im expecting a big cherry, honeyberry, hazels and currant crop this summer. hopefully some mulberries and apples as well.

Thanks, Steve, for the offer. I’m probably getting too old to be worth trying to plant nut trees from seed. I wish you the best of success in your endeavors.

1 Like

What does okra taste like?

Yes, it was awesome, the orange zest really made the dough. I liked it so much the author mentions it’s a Stella Parks inspired recipe. So I’m thinking of buying her cookbook as the recipe was spot on, even the advice on measuring 15 inches was crucial. I don’t own a piping bag but just cutting the corner off a small freezer bag worked perfectly fine, looked just like the photos. Having a food processor and my wife’s skill with flour made this treat perfect. I want that cook book now!

It sounds cool, I would be interested.

That is very fun indeed! I don’t grow apples, but plums and peach grafts was really a lot of fun sampling. I sampled Arctic Jay nectarine last year for the first time. For one, wow it has a beautiful pattern, most look ugly. A very handsome (and large) nectarine.
Now I have had guys tell me that this or that is better than Arctic Jay, but I must say the sweet white flesh was amazing. What a fine ass piece of fruit!

I really like Ka-bluey, it has an excellent flavor. I have discovered that the older a perennial is the less it likes to be moved. Watch it closely after the move. Keep it watered. You may lose a season, if young it will be fine. If 3 or 4 years old it will not be happy for a bit. Not that this will happen every time, well yes, it probably will.

3 Likes

@jfiorini … hard for me to really describe what okra taste like… I see others online saying it taste similar to eggplant… but I have never tried eggplant myself (yet).

We like ours cooked crispy… either oven baked or fried… favor fried…

Wash the pods… dry them… cut them up… and put in a bowl… beat a egg and pour over it and coat it all with egg… season with 5 spice (salt pepper onion powder garlic powder paprika) and add some fine almond flour and mix well.

Cast iron or carbon steel skillet… we use mostly avacado oil with some bacon fat added… fry it good until it gets crispy.

Oh man… good stuff.

That was the last bit I got on Nov 3 this year.

1 Like

I think maybe eggplant ish. I do the plain old fried okra . Better said. MY Wife does the fried Okra and we eat it. I have done okra pickled with an online refrigerator pickling process just like you would a cucumber and they were incredible. My crop stunk last year along with most everything else I tried but years before that we had massive plants with tons of Okra. Seems they love the Florida heat. Really good stuff.

Okra is a heat lover for sure…

I start a early bed a couple weeks after I plant my tomatoes out in the garden. They dont really grow a lot until the heat kicks in and then they take off.

After I pull my sweet corn (mid july)…I start more and it is good and hot then and it really thrives and produces well.

That is what it looks like growing in the garden… I plant it in double rows.

Here from August to early Nov every 2 or 3 days… you get plenty fresh to make a really nice side for dinner.

Those red pods are red burgandy variety… pretty but a low producer for me… I will not be planting those again.

Jambalaya variety (got mine from hoss tools) a super productive variety… very good… starts producing early lower on the plant and has closer leaf nodes… so produces more per vertical ft… lots of pods without getting too tall to reach.

Clemson spinless… also very good… produces well… but will get taller on you. Nice tender pods.

1 Like