What are your no1 22 expectations

Peppers, next : Figs, next: plums, peaches and pears. Persimmon? Not much.
So far my inground figs hasn’t been damaged, maybe the next Artic blast(9*).
Citrus? Maybe a bigger yield again. You can always wish a normal year!!!

5 Likes

I’m hoping this is the year I get my vegetable seed starting working the way I want. I got a better light and a grow tent to control the temperature. So I think this year will either be the year it all works out, or the year I have to stop blaming my equipment!

I’m also looking forward to more fig production, as well as currants and gooseberries.

4 Likes

I have had to change what I grow (veggie wise) since realizing that high carb stuff is so damaging to my health.

Grew a lot of low carb okra this year… we ate it for months fresh… but production never got high enough for me to can or freeze any for the winter months and spring…

Missing it for sure now. May have to limit the sweetcorn even more next year to make more room for okra.

I only grow sweet corn for my kids… they still eat it.

Greens and okra… excellent keto food.

4 Likes

I’m fairly established as to what I like growing. Also I still am enjoying last years harvest. I’m at the point where I figured much of it out and results are there, finally! Now that I’m a little older I have to cut back some. The planning and prep are almost second nature now.
What helped me a lot is establishing fruiting perennials that require little attention. It leads to a consistent harvest year after year. Also have many fruits, if I get a fail, I have plenty still to harvest. Raspberries and blueberries are the crops I like best. Although every year I do experiment. I’m also interested in breeding and that’s always fun for me. It doesn’t matter much the results, the journey is the prize.

5 Likes

@jcguarneri, I sure like your operation, a bit much for me. Do you still have an 8 hour job?

1 Like

im realizing now after last summer/ fall harvest., ill need another freezer for my fruit. the one i have is maxed out and my 6 cherries are just starting fruiting. once all the apples, mulberries, apricot, currants, honeyberries, gooseberries, blueberries and arctic kiwi hit full production in a few more years ill definitely need it! hoping to make more use out of my shaded north side of my east/ west rows with currants, gooseberries and honeyberries. even if they dont produce as much as the ones to the south at least ill be using all the growing space available.

1 Like

More of the same. Feeling eager and ambitious with early orchard prep and grafting. Falling behind on my spraying schedule. At different times complaining how we are getting too much or too little rain. Getting a smile on my face when I see the first signs of grafting success or flower bud development on trees that had never fruited before. Cursing gypsy moths (but hoping they will have an off-year). Accepting that thinning apples is good and necessary, but still not liking to do it. Trying to remember the words to the “Apple Picker’s Reel” while atop a ladder. Having great fun hosting cider pressing parties and apple taste tests. Enjoying telling the few customers at farmers market who really seem interested about the histories and qualities of some apple varieties they had never heard of before. Being pleased when they buy the apples afterward. Trying to decide what different kind of desserts can be made from our bounty and then making the same old pies and crisps I’ve always made. Realizing in December that the temperature really is mild enough to do one more pressing. And that’s just the growing fruit part.

5 Likes

I’m missing some purple stringless bush beans…first tried them over 50 years ago…you still can’t find them in the stores.

i grew the purple pole beans last summer from Johnney’s seeds. very productive and tender. we liked them alot and no bending to pick. :wink: the yellow Venice pole beans are really good also.

2 Likes

“Royalty Purple Pod” I think I ordered from Gurney’s about 1969. There are improved varieties, but the old one is still good.

The purple pole beans I tried about 1997 got 10 feet vines and 10 inch long pods…but too much pith and had to shell them.

I like the flavor of the purple ones.

1 Like

these were stringless pole beans. i picked them when they were about 5in. any bigger they started to get tough. they produced right till’ oct. frost did them in.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s the reason I do beans I have to string usually…don’t have to pick them before the bean seeds inside the hulls form! :slight_smile:
I like beans better than hulls.

1 Like

Drew, might get to taste a lot more of your figs this season!

2 Likes

Cool, I’m taking some cuttings today. I have a few trades going. I had a great year. I still have some dried figs I’m going to use for fig newtons. I made the recipe twice, not an easy recipe, but the figs come out ten times better then commercial newtons.

1 Like

What are you looking for

I really need to cut down. Right now all I want are a few very rare figs.
I don’t expect most people to have them. I have about 50 I would like to try, but I just cannot right now. I need to eliminate 50 first!
Anyway I only want
Bordissot Negra Rimada
Paratjal Rimada
Ruby Rose

Although if you need anything I can get you cuttings if I have them and fig is big enough or not needed for other requests. PM me requests or to see current list.
I’m getting ready to root a few too that I obtained.

Drew,knew a good friend ( Vern 2006) from the old fig forum. He started me on the more fancy varieties. Went to his place, Clarksville,Ark several times. His front yard, side yard, backyard are full of figtrees. He visited me several times also. He loves Eureka Springs, Ar, just to visit, more-his wife. We haven’t had contact any more, his wife wasn’t doing well. Anyway he gave a variety of figs to take home, one was variety that produces small figs but excellent that I still have growing inground. No name anymore. Didn’t get anything last year due to the Vortex. Will see what happens this time, will let you know. But if you want cuttings I can send you sionwood.
Have a cold front coming in , hope it doesn’t fry my ingrounds.

I am hoping to get a few first-time apples to sample from past grafts, and that several eighth leaf apple trees will finally produce. Also, my winkler hazelnuts should be big enough to produce a few nuts.

1 Like

I need to build my small raised bed and get my ka-bluey blueberry out of a container and into the ground. I also need to put blackberry and raspberries into large totes. they’re individual canes that grew in containers last season, I can’t have them creeping into neighbors yards so they must stay in above ground mini beds.

1 Like

We did, too. Among our favorite beans. Rattlesnake is another.

2 Likes