What are your summer flowers blooming?

Yes…I meant to say carmint

1 Like

Catmint

Long waited… Both pink and white roses have very sweet aroma, but the flowers only last about a day

9 Likes

Annie,
Yes, roses of rosa rugosa type usually have nice fragrance but what stops me from planting them is their thorns. My, very thorny.

My fragrant roses are Double Delight and Abraham Darby. I sprayed fungicide leftover (with Surroundin it) against black spot. So the spotty white background was Surround.

10 Likes

Tippy, like the beautiful roses you have .
You are correct. They are very thorny, lot of small thorns along the whole plants. But I much prefer their fragrance over beautiful color or tea rose shape.
I can’t get enough of their sweet aroma and can stand there sniping for a long time.

2 Likes

Those do smell very nice. I usually browse the rose section at a local nursery and smell them for free :grin:.

My roses above smell nice so they are keepers.

1 Like

Grown a few more for just the color and toughness. They survive my zone well years after years.

a

11 Likes

WOW! Your roses are just fantastic! Really beautifull, congratulations! :+1:

1 Like

I just love Abraham Darby. I have been admiring other’s pictures online for years. I went to buy one to try in a pot and they are sold out this season. Next spring! Yours is lovely!

1 Like

I don’t grow roses but do all the flowers (colors) smell similar? I’ve thought about taking some cuttings from my moms house and starting a few.

The white and pink ones smell very similar. But they have differently scent than the tea rose or most of other types of roses. Their scent smells kinda like Jasmine’s ( Arabia) sweet, pleasant aroma. The best of all, they don’t have to be sprayed as most of roses do.

1 Like

Annie,
I am not good at describing rose fragrance. Rosa rugosa smells sweet, fresh and clean.

Sometimes I read up David Austin’s rose description and have to laugh. myrrh, musk, etc.

1 Like

Home Depot has a bunch of roses on sale …i just saw this on a deal site…

I am quite confident that the Hybrid Tea roses (single, long stem, Valentine type of rose will not survive zone 5 or 4 without serious protection. I am in zone 6, I planted the Double Delight next to my house and bury it in bags of mulch very late fall.

Tea roses do grow here in Chicago which is zone 5 without protection. I don’t grow these, but many of my friends do. We just have to be careful to pick the zone5 hardy ones when we buy. Of course the most popular roses here nowadays is Knockout for its disease resistance and flowers as well.

Tea roses and Hybrid Tes roses are two different categories, though.

Tea roses are tough! Not Hybrid Tea.

1 Like

I know. but many of my friends have Double Delight etc. hybrids tea roses growing in the yard for years in Chicago

1 Like

Amazing. My friend living 15 mins from me had her DD died because she did not protect it. Her 2nd one died, too, so she gave up even though she likes its fragrance.

In severe winter years, mine had a lot of died back.

That friend and I used to be crazy about roses but we tend to like the impossible, fragrant, cold hardy and disease resistant and having the color we like. They don’t exist so we both have given up on roses.

1 Like

Is that Clematis Florida Pistachio (also called Flore Pleno)?

I had Pistachio and Florida Sieboldii (they’re very closely related) but they are barely hardy for me here. (though I got another Sieboldii this year cause I’m a glutton for punishment)

Didn’t see one of these here…

Nice mint relative… with a wonderful name…

Bastard Balm

anyone else have it?

Scott

6 Likes

Nope, it is Clematis Florida alba plena.
Pretty rare.